Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Another newbie

+5
OzRose
RitaG
Admin
tearose49
The Lazy Rosarian
9 posters

Go down

Another newbie Empty Another newbie

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th December 2010, 06:13

Yes we have another new member. This time all the way from America. I do hope you enjoy, Jill and look forward to your comments. If it is not rude can you tell us a bit about yourself and the passsion of the Roses
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Another newbie Empty Hello from California

Post by tearose49 29th December 2010, 07:29

Hello Aussies, I'm Jill from California. I saw this site on a Google Alert for Heritage Roses, and it looked like an interesting group of people. I probably already know some of you from rose conferences, but haven't made it to one in Australia, yet. I've been into Heritage roses for about 20 years, and have a passion for the Teas. Since 2005, I've been the Curator at the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. If any of you are coming to visit, please let me know and I'll provide a tour of the garden for you.
Jill

tearose49

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Another newbie Empty Re: Another newbie

Post by Admin 29th December 2010, 12:12

Hey Jill,

I have not spoken to you before but have read a few of your articles, especially on the classification of Tea roses, so I am quite excited about getting to know you Smile Welcome aboard here. We are a mixed bag of people really... with one thing in common... an addiction to roses. Some of us breed roses, some of us maintain extensive gardens, and some of us maintain a few select roses as our pride-and-joys in smaller gardens. Some of us are newly addicted and just discovering the world of roses and some of us are very experienced. Between us we can probably manage to help anyone with anything Thumbsup AND... we are growing quickly into one of the best Australian rose related websites; something I am very proud of.

If I could ask you one thing, what do you mean by a google alert? I know I have enabled Google spider bot access to the forum to allow it to feature in Google search results but am not aware of what a Google Alert is.

Cheers,

Simon

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose49 29th December 2010, 12:29

I signed up for it years ago- you put in a search term, say how often you want alerts. Here's the website:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So what you enabled the spider bot to do is why I got you on my list.

Jill

tearose49

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 29th December 2010, 12:39

Hi Jill

Welcome! Are you the same Jill P? I think we've 'talked' before on Garden Web. Regardless, welcome, it would be great having your expertise here.

Ciao
Rita
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose49 29th December 2010, 12:51

Hi Rita,
I do post to GardenWeb (aka wardenweb), also to Facebook, Chez Vibert and Gold Coast Rose, and I run the garden website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Jill

Last edited by Simon on 29th December 2010, 12:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just activated the link... it's worth sharing :))

tearose49

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 29th December 2010, 12:54

Ah yes, the good ole Wardenweb. I believe Spike sold GW and I do look in every now and again, but I have been off the scene for some years now.

We had some fun back in those days and I am sure we will have fun again here.

Ciao, Rita
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 29th December 2010, 14:04

Hi there Jill, welcome to RoseTalk from me here in Western Australia .
It's a good place to sit down with a cuppa and visit Very Happy
I have seen some lovely photo's taken of the roses in the SJHRG on
Help Me Find ; I'm not that keen on flying at all but one day I think the lure of exploring all those overseas gardens will get me on board a plane again.

I shall look forward to hearing more about your roses .

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 29th December 2010, 14:54

Hello Jill, welcome to this site that has a great mix of people and topics.
Pollinating and breeding is a real feature as well as warm weather roses like the Tea's. Our climate varies greatly throughout from deserts to lush rain forrests. I look forward to your input.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th December 2010, 21:31

Hi Jill

Welcome. We (my wife Lee and I) live in Sub tropical Qld and we grow teas, chinas, noisettes and hybrd musks.

Al these varieties grow well in our climate with the teas growing outstandingly.

We look forawrd to your input

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 31st December 2010, 14:50

Hi Jill, welcome to the forum from me too. I'm in Victoria and have mostly HTs and David Austins.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 31st December 2010, 23:54

Hi Jill, I am sure you will enjoy our forum. We live in the central west of NSW.
We have quite a few David Austins and some of everything else Dance
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st January 2011, 06:49

Jill, as Carole(my wife) has written we have some DA's and other roses. I must admit I do like DA's, but am leaning towards "older" roses. Singles and the one's that have smell.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose49 1st January 2011, 07:23

At home I have 3 DAs- Graham Thomas, a huge climber with a sweet scent, Ambridge Rose, a lovely peach color with a myrrh scent, and Othello, a sparse bloomer with a wonderful old rose scent- the only reason I don't shovel prune it.

At the San Jose garden, I love to walk through the old roses and just smell them. I often remind people to do that- my generation grew up thinking of only looking at the pretty colors on scentless HTs, and forget to put our noses in the fragrant oldies when we see them.

tearose49

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st January 2011, 09:03

teadrose

I think I love you!! Ha Ha, this is my reaction to DAs as well but I do agree in the cooler areas they grow fantastic. But there is nothing like walking past a bed of teas in flower and breathing in the subtle, not overpowering scent. Though one of my neighbours whose house is about 100 metres away says she can smell our Com de Labathes when they are in flower.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose49 1st January 2011, 10:20

I've seen Absolutely wonderful English roses. In England! There is a rose garden at Alnwick Gardens, designed and donated by Michael Marriott of DA Roses. It was gorgeous. Of course, they get year round rain, cold winters. I can't do that for mine.
Jill

tearose49

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 1st January 2011, 12:26

Hi Jill, I so often see my green eyed monster when friends (rosey ones) come back home bragging about the truly wonderful English Gardens, esp the ones full of DAs and old garden roses.

I have to confess that I am and will always continue to be a one eyed Austinphile [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whilst I only have 61 roses so far in my new garden, 42 of them are Austins and in my new south-western Sydney garden they are so far growing much healthier and happier than they did further west of here.

Shame about your Othello, the one in my previous garden died which was a blow, but the one I have planted in this garden, now a year old hasn't grown to be the leggy shy bloomer! I have purposely arched its canes and he as produced some very wonderful blooms, twice so far, spring & summer - and you're right, he's scent is to die for.

MM is a very clever garden designer isn't he? Wish I had him come out and design my back garden. But then, the English soils/environment, like that of New Zealand, makes it so much easier to garden.
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down