Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My paper on Hume's Blush Tea-Scented China

+5
Admin
Dave
Balinbear
Ozeboy
IanM
9 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

My paper on Hume's Blush Tea-Scented China - Page 5 Empty Re: My paper on Hume's Blush Tea-Scented China

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd June 2013, 14:15

Ian, it could be in her/their book, the article I mean.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

My paper on Hume's Blush Tea-Scented China - Page 5 Empty Re: My paper on Hume's Blush Tea-Scented China

Post by IanM 2nd June 2013, 14:19

Balinbear wrote:Thanks Bruce.

Our "Hume Blush" does not break any records so far as growth goes and only really interested to see if Agnes Smith is the same rose.

I had a look at HMF last night and the nodding flowers etc look exactly the same so I suspect that it is. I still have no idea where we purchased ours from originally as we got the original one probably 10-15 years ago.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Agnes Smith grows like a weed here on the Darling Downs. Mine are still in pots and I always seem to be cutting them back as the branches end up 6 foot high. Mind you we've had several cooler than average summers and cold, cloudy winters. Who knows what might happen if ever we get an extended heatwave one summer. I do think it would grow strongly in the garden. I recommend growing it on its own roots, not grafted, and give it some space. It may not like being too close to other roses and plants. The flowers have the very best fragrance of any rose I reckon, and it flowers freely, though in bursts.

Maybe we should swap cuttings to see how your "Hume's Blush" compares with my "Agnes Smith". By the way, where did you source your "Hume's Blush" and did you buy it under that name?

Incidentally, Ross Roses maintain that they did have the actual repeat-flowering "Hume's Blush" in the past, but despite searches in recent years they must have either misplaced or lost it. I wonder if this rose may have ended up as the "Irene Watts NOT" and it could even be the source of "Agnes Smith" and "Blakiston Tea". However the presumption does seem to be that the Rookwood and Blakiston Cemetery roses could have even pre-dated the introduction by the Ross family. This part of the story is a mystery. At least the current photo of "Irene Watts" on their web page looks identical to "Agnes Smith"!

Ian

Last edited by IanM on 2nd June 2013, 15:20; edited 1 time in total
IanM
IanM

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 2nd June 2013, 14:41

roseman wrote:Ian, it could be in her/their book, the article I mean.

Seems likely. I recall once before someone told me about an "article", but it turned out to actually be a preface in a book.
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd June 2013, 14:41

Any help or hindrance from Rustons on how "those" roses came into our gardens.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 2nd June 2013, 17:49

Ian

I have planted a cutting from a plant which we have called "Irene Watts" (the original plant died soon after so we were lucky we did a cutting) next to one from our "Hume's Blush" to see what they looked like.

I asked Lee where she thought we got the 'Hume's Blush" from and she though maybe Hilltop Nursery in Victoria (they don't see roses anymore) or possibly a Heritage Rose Nursery that was up this way about 10-15 years ago. The one we have is a cutting from the original plant that was never really healthy (it was a budded plant) so you may be right about growing it from a cutting.

Very strange needing to cite something that you have not used in an article. Maybe acknowledge that someone else had done some similar work on this but it was not available but citing it seems very strange.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 1st September 2015, 22:36

Having grown Blakiston Tea and Agnes Smith together both in pots and in the garden for some years, I am now convinced they are not the same. They are however very similar.

Blakiston Tea is much more robust and upright wherever I have seen it, whereas Agnes Smith tends to be smaller and more bushy/twiggy. I also suspect Blakiston Tea is more thorny as it is always grabbing me whenever I go near it. Blakiston grows faster and the stems put on more thickness and length than Agnes Smith.
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd September 2015, 06:14

Hi Ian, good to see you are still around. How is the the paper for the journal going, did you get over the "citing" part of "Tea Ladies" book ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 2nd September 2015, 21:02

I haven't had a chance to put pen to paper unfortunately. Neutral
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5