Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't...

3 posters

Go down

Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't... Empty Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't...

Post by Admin 5th November 2010, 22:20

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First flower from a plant I budded a year ago from material sent as 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert'. Pictures on HMF for this plant show very heavy mossed buds which this one clearly doesn't have. It doesn't even look much like a Moss. Will take other photos over the net few weeks. Plant is virused and I keep it only because I want to clean it up... vegetative centre on this, its first flower, may not be a reliably consistent feature. Very strong perfume.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't... Empty Re: Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't...

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th November 2010, 06:42

Great colour Simon and also love your friendly aphids. Do you think the vegative centre will grow out with age. If the plant you have is virused, does the person from whom you got it know that their plant maybe virused as well ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't... Empty Re: Was meant to be 'Madame de la Roche-Lambert' but isn't...

Post by Guest 6th November 2010, 08:30

Proliferative centres come and go with variations in the season, but some roses are particularly prone to it. Teas Mlle Franziska Kruger (sold as Souvenir d'Elise Vardon in Aus) and "David's Dilemma" have that tendency in my garden and elswhere.
I have Mme de la Roche-Lambert, definitely mossed. Repeats but doesn't flower all that much, but a very striking colour. Another on the list to send later!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th November 2010, 10:38

Yes David, as Margaret said, sometimes roses just form these vegetative centres whilst some varieties do it all the time. 'Madam Hardy' does it ALL the time but even she has been reported to form a hip once in a while... aint roses grand Smile

The virus could have come from the cuttings or from the stock so rather than trying to track it down I've decided to just kill the virus and move on. It's a lovely rose but is very lax and untidy at this stage making long whippy canes that want to lie along the ground. Will try it own-root to see if that improves the achitecture.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 6th November 2010, 20:35

Simon, obviously you built the hot box. Please keep me posted on how well it works.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th November 2010, 20:58

Yep... built the hot box... am propagating some virused plants now in prep for heat treatment.

1. Grow rootstck seedlings to ensure a supply of virus-free rootstocks. Strike these in pots and get them growing strongly.
2. Graft infected bud onto any rootstock (virus status not important at this stage).
3. When the activated bud is growing strongly in its second year stop watering to induce a drought response in the rose.
4. Place in the hot box with the thermostat set to 38 degrees with a 6500K light going in it 24/7.
5. Place an inverted softdrink bottle of water in the pot so it drains slowly into the pot to provide some water in the box. Leave the lid on it and make a small hole in it to regulate the flow to a slow drip.
6. Leave it for 28 days.
7. On the 28th day remove it and cut back any obvious dieback until you come to a viable bud. Graft this onto your virus free seedling rootstocks prepared earlier.
8. Allow to grow until leaves appear. In autumn or spring send leaves to a lab for ELISA testing. If it comes back positive repeat process. Testing costs about $80-90 per test down here.
9. If it comes back negative then plant in a place away from other infected plants to keep as 'virus indexed' stock plants.
10. Discard the infected plant.

It's going to take a few years. I've got a good virus free multiflora rootstock seedling growing on that is about to flower (sister to the one I sent you Bruce) that I'll cut back after flowering and strike the prunings and plant in the ground until winter at which time I'll dig and pot them. I'm grafting infected buds now onto potted rootstocks to get the test plants growing. I'm going to use 'Constance Spry' as my first test subject. I can see Teas coping with the heat treatment better so I'll try 'St Francis Xavier' as well.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th December 2010, 20:39

Looking good the past weekend. It looks like it has stripes. I'm kind of thinking 'Marbree' maybe...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down