Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie

4 posters

Go down

'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie Empty 'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie

Post by Admin 15th April 2010, 23:47

Recently I was away in Hobart for the weekend. We stopped in at a little town called Oatlands and found a tiny little nursery. I was hoping that there might have been some nice roses seeing as there were so many old colonial sandstone buildings with heritage gardens around (unfortunately this wasn't the case Sad ). Growing in the garden was, however, quite a lot of nice old roses including a lovely plant of 'Nancy Hayward'. It was in flower and covered in hips. It get's to -10ºC with quite heavy snow there in winter and yet the owner told me it grows strongly despite the cold and was some 7-8 years old. It was really healthy looking with characteristic gigantea-like leaves. She didn't have any plants of it in the nursery but was kind enough to offer me a bunch of cuttings (which are sitting here now wrapped up in moist newspaper) which I accepted eagerly Smile Given how cold this part of Tassie is (much colder than where I am here), I was surprised to see how well it was growing and the number of OP hips on it made me wonder why nobody has used it in breeding... it's clearly a fertile parent. With any luck the cuttings will strike and I'll be able to splash a bit of its pollen around over the coming years. Anyone else grow it? A number years ago I saw an episode of Burke's Backyard on which Peter Valder was showing off his wisteria 'trees'. I'm thinking I might have a go at trying to make a 'Nancy Hayward' 'tree'... with a garden seat around its trunk.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie Empty Re: 'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie

Post by Balinbear 16th April 2010, 13:12

I have it over this shelter. Not in flower in this pic but you can see its canes on the upper left reaching for the sky.

In spring it it magnificent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie Empty Re: 'Nancy Hayward' in a REALLY cold part of Tassie

Post by Admin 24th April 2010, 21:39

Looks like a beautiful bush too! I can't understand why nobody has used it in hybridising here???

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th June 2010, 18:02

Today I saw - for the first time - a huge plant of 'Nancy Hayward' with a few blooms on it & OMG...very nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th June 2010, 18:10

Damo... I have about a dozen struck cuttings... I'll put one in your goody bag Thumbsup

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 11th June 2010, 15:20

cheers very nice indeed Smile
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 20th June 2010, 21:21

Simon wrote:Looks like a beautiful bush too! I can't understand why nobody has used it in hybridising here???

Not yet, but I do intend to, in the following spring. I was waiting my Nancy Hayward to develop first. Very happy with it; from a 50 cm high little bush up to a 4m gorgeous thing in less than a year. True Australian beauty.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th June 2010, 21:42

I do as well... It fits all the criteria of a useful parent IMO; it strikes easily from cuttings, it requires no chemical intervention, growing naturally as roses were intended to do so, it is robust and it seems to develop hips from what I've seen (the one mentioned in the opening post of mine was covered in hips). In true gigantea style, the seeds will probably be very difficult to germinate but I think some very beautiful roses could be bred out of it with a little patience. I look forward to trying it out Smile

Welcome aboard Oz. Why not take a little time to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down