Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue???

2 posters

Go down

Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue??? Empty Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue???

Post by Admin 17th September 2009, 14:50

Hi Linda,

Is my memory serving me correctly that there has been a recent change to the rules about bringing tomato seeds into Tasmania??? I can't remember clearly but know there was some kind of strife not long back about it Dunno

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue??? Empty Re: Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue???

Post by Guest 5th October 2009, 08:16

Oops - sorry, just noticed this - yes, they are getting very strict about importing unless the contents are declared and open for inspection. Or commercially produced. That's Ok. I suspect its more to protect commercial interests than anything else. It's hardly worth the bother, there are already lots of varieties available in the state through various growers. I now have F7 of my Tasmanian Chocolate growing out. It should be stable after this growout. Also Tasmanian Pink F6 and Tasmanian Red F6 - good names eh?

Back to top Go down

Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue??? Empty Re: Cosmic (Linda)... Tomato seeds to Tas issue???

Post by Abbi 5th October 2009, 16:02

Did you breed them, Blossom?

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2009, 19:39

Hiya Bloss Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2009, 20:39

Yes and no. They are part of a breeding program that started in the USA to get dwarf plants that don't need staking - at the time there were probably only a handful of dwarf types to choose from. I was asked to be part of the program and the seeds of a first cross were sent to me to grow out. We had to grow as many as possible and see what came out of the next generation but they had to be dwarfs. I got 6 different tomatoes - 2 brown, two pink and two red ( I'd been hoping for purple!) Out of these I had to select the best to be grown on to the next generation which were then sent back to USA to optimise on the opposite seasons. I sent one chocolate, one pink and one red as my choice and got the naming rights. This was all permitted then and the chocolate one was a big hit overseas. Then quarantine stomped on us and I've had to grow the next three generations here, so it's taken a bit longer, but Chocolate is now a stable variety in its own right and next year pink and red will be. Some members on the mainland are still in the loop of swapping with the USA so theirs are stable now, and they will soon be registered. There is an amazing colour range all on dwarf stock. I don;t think I'll get seeds of the others until they are being grown commercially, but I have saved a good quantity of the ones I grew on and have a few more up my sleeve from the original share out that I can develop. So that's the story behind it. I lost some seeds to the mice but am growing 6 of each this year specifically to get as many seeds as I can because it's not up to me to get them into the market and it could be years before it happens. I have a few others that are still only in 3rd generation that I crossed myself ( not all dwarf) and plan on selecting stock and naming them all Tasmanian something.

Hi Cheryl! I gave up the farm on facebook - it got too much to handle all those cows!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down