Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

ID Wanted For A Friend Please

4 posters

Go down

ID Wanted For A Friend Please Empty ID Wanted For A Friend Please

Post by Guest 16th September 2009, 10:42

I have a pink rose in my garden I haven't identified. It wouldn't bother me because the flower isn't anything to write home about but it has such health and vigour, pumps flowers out all year long that I thought it might be useful to know if it was a heritage rose or not and what class.

I took one of these photos this morning - the one with the petrea. It's not photogenic - blooms last only a day so I haven't taken that many of it. The foliage always looks clean but a few leaves occasionally get the mildest dose of blackspot. Aphids don't bother it much but I don't feed it except with manure and a bit of potash so there's none of the sappy growth they are attracted to.

My daughter rang me a few months back to ask if I had any cuttings and I hesitated to mention I had some of this rose. Didn't think she like it. In fact I was going to dig it out myself - just that there are so many lovely roses out there to try and only so much space in this garden. But - it makes such a useful shrub. It's a flower factory for one thing and dresses up. Foliage covers it to the ground and though on the tall side canes don't snake out and get in the way. I suspect it could eventually grow into a huge vase-like shrub though. I've pruned mine back a bit when it started getting over my head. It's not thorny either. There are several canes but only one is approaching 2cm after 3 years. The rest are quite thin and all are straight up rather than lax. The hip turns a light orange.

Any ideas?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

ID Wanted For A Friend Please Empty Re: ID Wanted For A Friend Please

Post by Admin 16th September 2009, 12:51

Cheryl, It looks very tea-like... or maybe old-China. If your friend ever decides to dig it up and discard it please let her know I would LOVE it. Would love some cuttings too!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 16th September 2009, 13:15

Could call it "Hip's a Plenty" for it looks like a real hips making machine.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 16th September 2009, 21:56

Cheryl, I think it is Old Blush. I thought this before I read Simon's post. I went to Helpmefind and it looks the same rose to me. Except for the Redoute painting at the end which shows thorns on a stem.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th September 2009, 23:24

I was going to say 'Parson's Pink China' and then noticed that 'Old Blush' and PPC are the same rose lol! It's a lovely rose too! I agree with Karen. There is a thorn showing in the first image so Fran's plant is not completely thornless. Tell Fran it's almost certainly 'Old Blush' Cheryl [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 16th September 2009, 23:41

I think it probably is. I also think it is a rose worth keeping.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th September 2009, 08:09

Thanks so much everyone and I'm sure my friend could org you a cutting Simon, leave it to beaver , thanks again everyone Mexican Wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th September 2009, 08:41

My friends reply Smile

Yay - do you know what it's exactly what I thought it was. Wasn't perfectly sure - have only seen it in the rose books.

I am chuffed. Please thank them all very much Cheryl. I can certainly send cuttings. Have none of it at present but will get some in ASAP. Will let you know when I think they are ready to go which won't be all that long in this climate and they can let me know the hows and when and so forth.

Thank you again Cheryl - very much appreciated. I have been wondering and wondering if this was Old Blush - didn't think it could be anything else - have searched and searched and now they have confirmed it. Wonderful

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th September 2009, 14:15

No worries Cheryl... if she's happy to send unrooted cuttings, that would be better for me... no supposed to received rooted cuttings own here without a plant health certificate. 'Old Blush' strikes really easily too so a few small pieces would be all that is needed I reckon Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18th September 2009, 10:32

I will let her know okies Simon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18th September 2009, 10:54

- when does he want them and can you ask the best way to send and if I should indicate on the parcel that it contains cutting material. Can he PM you his address?

I pruned it all back 2 months ago or so so there is a lot of new growth. Does he want the cuttings taken from this new growth or some of the older wood - leaves left? He can have both - whatever. I just prune, cut and shove it all into a pot and take off all the leaves myself. Have long given up on doing it by anyone's rule book.

I will sterilize the secateurs though LOL

Thanks for running around after us Cheryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down