Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Serratipetala NOT

4 posters

Go down

Serratipetala NOT Empty Serratipetala NOT

Post by Ian_M 3rd September 2016, 13:38

Every year without fail, and late in the season, my "Serratipetala NOT" does something really odd. It suddenly sends out big, double, dark red blooms. At first I only see a couple, then three or four, until eventually the whole bush is covered in very dark red, fully double blooms. Yet for the first part of the season it only gets lots of tiny, pale red and single blooms, which are a bit lopsided or "mutated" in appearance.

I have always known that it is not the true Serratipetala, but an imposter. The fact that the flowers change form as the season progresses has lead me to dub it "The China Changeling".  Smile

Here is a photo of the big, double blooms it gets from late season through winter.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ian_M

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-12-06

Back to top Go down

Serratipetala NOT Empty Re: Serratipetala NOT

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd September 2016, 14:07

Hello, Ian, have you any thoughts of what class the "bush" might live in. Where did you buy it from or is it a cutting ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_M 3rd September 2016, 14:13

It is definitely a China rose, no question about that.

I recall someone from this forum sent it to me a long time ago and they got it from a nursery. But I can't recall who or the name of the nursery.

It is cutting grown, not that this makes any difference. It is clearly a seedling of a China rose and is showing reversion (or should that be "progression") towards something in its past genetic make-up. I had at one time wondered if the branches getting the reversion could be propagated and produce plants with double flowers. But they always turn out being the same. They start off with the tiny, single flowers for half the season, then suddenly change to getting big, double blooms late in the season. This change is evidently a part of its genetics and is perhaps triggered by changes in temperature or day length. I have noticed that the double blooms are more likely to occur following frosts.

Ian_M

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd September 2016, 14:46

I guess Ian, memory is not helping how long ago it might have been since you received it from a member ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd September 2016, 19:43

Weird. We grow Serratipetala because Lee likes to put the carnation like flowers into flower arrangements.

I'm not a real fan of the rose. Our's suffer from mildew and don't really flower all that much.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_M 4th September 2016, 09:16

I made a small mistake when I said the flowers start out single. They are actually double or partly doubled, just so small and crinkled that they look single.

My memory is not bad, it's just that my brain gets flooded with too much plant information and over time gets overloaded.  Shocked
I know it originally came from a bloke who ran a large nursery down south and he gave it to a forum member who sent a cutting to me.

Balinbear, you may have been the member who sent me the Serratipetala?

Would you have a photo of your Serratipetala?

Ian_M

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_M 4th September 2016, 09:23

Interestingly, Peter Beale's Classic Roses website shows a photo of a Serratipetala with large, fully double red blooms, just like the ones mine gets late in the season. So maybe it is Serratipetala afterall. Shocked

Ian_M

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th September 2016, 11:50

how far south Ian, are we talking Victoria, if so it could be one of two I think.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 4th September 2016, 20:19

Ian

May have been me. I remember sending you a rooted Comtesse de Labarthe plus some others so it may well have been me.

Ours never have anything but the small red carnation like flowers. I do remember Margaret Furness commenting to me when she visited that she heard that the Serratipetala being sold in Australia may not be the correct rose. The one in the Remark Heritage Rose Collection is listed as possibly not being the correct rose.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia 24th September 2016, 09:53

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hi,  
This is a pic of my Serratipetala, It has been planted less than a year, and from only a couple of buds has grown very strongly, the scent is beautiful reminds me of fairy floss
lucia
lucia

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum