Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

OT Rant!

4 posters

Go down

OT Rant! Empty OT Rant!

Post by muscovyduckling 5th October 2015, 14:14

This is a rant because I'm annoyed.

It's hot and super windy today. I think it's the windiest day we've had so far this spring, and it's going to rain tomorrow. My neighbour is out there right now spraying Roundup all over her garden!

Her kids have gone back to school today, so I understand she's waited until after school holidays because she doesn't want Roundup near her kids. But it's windy and about to rain, so now the Roundup is going to blow and run everywhere else. I have to keep my dogs inside to keep them away from it, and just hope it doesn't blow or run onto my garden too much.

I have heaps of weeds, but also heaps of nice plants that I don't want getting sprayed!

I think I might have to plant a big old hedge along the fence to mitigate this a bit. Does anyone know of any Roundup defying hedging plants that I could use for this purpose?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

OT Rant! Empty Re: OT Rant!

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th October 2015, 15:05

Zoe, plants on thier way.
If you go to some sites under "google' it will explain "Spray Drift" I will look later. If you get results, show your neighbour. R/up/Glysophate will not travel along the soils run off.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 5th October 2015, 18:58

Well that's good at least. Don't want it running into the creeks. I will check out 'spray drift', but the neighbour doesn't want to know.

When they first moved in she told me she was going to improve the lawns using 'Weed n Feed'. I told her that's not really a great idea since 'Weed n Feed' contains two seperate herbicides and that one is an organochlorine, just like Dieldrin (Dieldrin was a real problem in this area after the potato farmers used it extensively), but she didn't even care! Didn't want to hear about aeration/ top dressing for lawn health.

So I've decided I'm not going to keep flogging that dead horse, and just do what I can on my property to keep the chemicals out.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 10th October 2015, 14:23

Zoe, Has this "lady" any plants growing on her side of the fence/hedge whatever?  Bad  Hmmmm  Innocent

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th October 2015, 14:28

Sue, you aren't "suggesting" sabotage are you ?  OT Rant! 3849219425 OT Rant! 2254931222 OT Rant! 294053457
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 10th October 2015, 15:18

Who ME?!!!! The very idea David!! I'm totally amazed you would even think I would suggest such a thing.. LOLOL!!!
However.............. OT Rant! 2117723795 well..... you know..... some people need a bit of persuasion or something!!! Innocent

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th October 2015, 23:03

Zoe she sounds like the neighbour from hell! Perhaps if you had mentioned the poisonous nature of Weed 'n Feed posing a risk to her children, she might take note, especially if the kids play on the grass.
You would have to be a total dropkick to spray in windy conditions and think the spray would actually get to the target weeds, not to mention the damage to desirable plants.
I really hope the spray drift didn't get as far as your treasured plants.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 12th October 2015, 15:34

Lol Sue, no she doesn't. But even if she did I wouldn't do anything to them because if it comes over my side of the fence I consider it a 'shared plant' and I will pick flowers from it or take cuttings if I like. I will allow her the same courtesy when my roses on the fence get big.

She is nice enough in every other way except this.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down