Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Something Strange Going On

5 posters

Go down

Something Strange Going On Empty Something Strange Going On

Post by neptune 9th April 2015, 20:52

As a lot of people know on here is that I grow roses to show. We have two main Rose Shows each year and that is the Autumn and Spring State Championships. So over the years you work out how long after a pruning that it takes each of your rose bushes to bloom (hopefully) at the right time. We also know that the weather plays an important part in this and can totally wreck your Show timing. If it is too cold on lead up to the Autumn show...basically no blooms in their peak.....likewise when too hot, blooms too early....

So a bit of background.........now this year, I checked my pruning calendar and did a split prune on each bush(half way thru March) in preparation for the Autumn Show in May......

Last week I was looking at all my bushes and noticed I have lots of 18inches to 2 feet new growth with big buds on top starting to open and on some small new growth(6-8 inches) I have blooms that are fully open. Now none of this is suppose to happen till the end of April and beginning of May. I am going on a couple of weeks holiday next week and fear that I am coming back to a garden full of blown blooms and then it will be no show this year.....

So my question is....what is happening.....I have re-checked my pruning calendar a few times and also compared it to previous years and all is good there.....
The weather has been about the same as previous years......not hot, warm and cold and raining, so far......
So this leaves me one thing so far...... have I found something when I make my "tea" brews that accelerates the growth........
I am at a loss as these blooms are coming out 3-4 weeks early and I can't find anything on the web that covers this advance growth situation...... Something Strange Going On 1542374896
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Something Strange Going On Empty Re: Something Strange Going On

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th April 2015, 07:32

John, it looks like you have checked everything. If from your records all things seem to the norm has, Mother Nature changed anything from last year/years. Has your watering time/times changed at all, the amount you have used, fertilizer(tea) application times.
Has the ingredients of the tea changed at all from last year ?.
As for the computer search about 'tea' I wonder if there are any reports of 'residual' fertilizers ?, I will have a look after this weekend.
Where are the holiday's this time and I do hope there are two tickets, one with Anna's name on it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 10th April 2015, 13:11

David, my watering times are the same as it is on a timer and the time is always the same.....
Now you mentioned the "tea"....the tea is basically the same. Some minor changes, but one of my teas in February, I added a chemical that I used in a hydroponic set up. I think it something to help with the uptake of nutrients......will check that one out....
The computer search search was not for teas but for advance growth ...
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th April 2015, 08:37

John, what was the 'added' chemical which was out of the norm ?
I will look from this end with the search looking at the correlation between the growth and the tea.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th April 2015, 10:50

David, I don't have the container anymore...will research when I get back.......

Funny thing also...... I set up a mates rose garden and pruned it four days before mine....last week he sent me a couple of photos with 2 vases full of roses....way tooooo quick growing....hmmmm
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 4th May 2015, 18:03

Just a update on this subject.....talked to a couple of knowledgeable people from the rose society and they tend to think that the roses must have had an injection of nitrogen to send them into a growing frenzy.......personally can't see that as I have never seen that before in my garden .......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 6th May 2015, 10:04

You had bushfires semi-locally earlier in year? With heaps of smoke.. and then it rained? Probably rained a bit of potash on you.... Smile
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th May 2015, 15:26

Quiet possible, Wendy, even though I feed it potash......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 9th May 2015, 08:02

Must have been the "extras" in with the "floating potash" then!
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 9th May 2015, 19:49

That's a good theory I reckon.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 11th May 2015, 23:05

neptune wrote:...

Last week I was looking at all my bushes and noticed I have lots of 18inches to 2 feet new growth with big buds on top starting to open and on some small new growth(6-8 inches) I have blooms that are fully open. Now none of this is suppose to happen till the end of April and beginning of May. I am going on a couple of weeks holiday next week and fear that I am coming back to a garden full of blown blooms and then it will be no show this year.....

So my question is....what is happening.....I have re-checked my pruning calendar a few times and also compared it to previous years and all is good there.....
The weather has been about the same as previous years......not hot, warm and cold and raining, so far......
So this leaves me one thing so far...... have I found something when I make my "tea" brews that accelerates the growth........
I am at a loss as these blooms are coming out 3-4 weeks early and I can't find anything on the web that covers this advance growth situation...... Something Strange Going On 1542374896

John out of curiosity:  I don't pay that much attention to prunung as much as you. I don't attend shows either.  I had few roses behaving the same way as yours. Then what I noticed on the following two season was that those roses slowed down and were a bit late in producing flowers as if they used all of their energy to put the growth and the buds  and flowers then they had  a break to restock their energy.. They carried on putting these strong tall growths with lots of flowers buds on. Two monhts afterer they finished flowering I trimmed them really down  almost to the ground to keep them at the height I want them be after that they are behaving as the same way as expected of them...Being me I drew my own conclusion that somehow an ancestor gene kicked off so chooped it off!

I would live to hear about your experience

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 11th May 2015, 23:25

Mine don't slow down after a fast flush as I am always onto my soil conditions to keep their nutrients up as roses a ferocious feeders.......rarely do I prune to the ground even after winter and that summer prune was there to freshen up the bush for the Mothers Day Rose Show....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 12th May 2015, 19:10

John could it be global warming or the ashes from the volcanoes is falling down scattered to the ground all around the world? Since you have done research and have been giving this admirable dedicated TLC to your roses and I am on the other side of the world....

I am baffled  too to see some of my roses flower so early. For instance my the Dream Patio is in flowers together with the Canary Bird. Canary Bird is flowering as normal but the Dream Patio is too early. Next week I am going to have the Tequlia Sunrise and others almost covered in full bloom?!?

I suppose I am going to have to wait and see if the heat loving Monica Bellucci will flower by the end of this month or so as she is a late flowering July-August time rose in here.

Something odd is going on with the environment   for sure affecting the whole world.

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down