Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Autumn Roses

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Autumn Roses - Page 2 Empty Re: Autumn Roses

Post by Alya 7th April 2015, 20:00

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Ayla are the 'Laxa' cutting grown or seed grown ? Just out of curiosity, how many roses might you have.

I realy don't know. I bought them in February for £0.25 each to do my own budding to restock my roses and use them as a a starter to produce my own laxa rootstocks  and to save  costs. What is the difference between them? you must have a very good reason to ask me this question. I would love to know why.  

We have about 360 to 370 different roses and about 12 of these are in 4 or 7 of the same totalling about 530 roses.

We sold most of our spare roses. Now we have got one of most and we need to propagate to keep on the safe side and carry on with seedlings and cross pollinating to achieve our dream of breding our own lovely "very famous roses that nobody could resists and selling like a hot potatoes..." you know how it goes!!! in the mean time sell some to finance the hobby!

We don't run a nursery. We are blessed with two 18m by 30m front and back gardens with our home is in the middle. We love roses and gardening so much first in 2012 we ripped off all of the lawn and planted it all with roses and other plants. Last year we ripped off the lawn at the back garden and built a 6m x 1.5m raised bed from recycled railway sleepers to cover a horrid looking wall our next door neighbour built. So instead of buying soil we recycled all of the sticky clay whilst we redo our gardens. Still a lot of work needs doing.. I shall put the before and after pictures once i have a bit more time on the forum. It is never ending work.. everyday saying we are nearly there... and all we can see is the pile of work...

We is my husband "Honeeey"  as I call him and I.  I love and seem to be good at growing plants from seeds and Honeeey is good at raising roses and plants from cuttings. As the plants did well and the conversations goes on in the office as "How as the weekend...what did you do at the weekend and so on" people wanted to see the pictures of the plants and garden then we got requests from work - collagues wanted to buy for a very very good price .. so we started to practise selling the propagated and the seedlings too to whoever comes to the door and to the collagues..

The seedlings and cutting of the roses have done very well.. Last Autumn someone walked into our garden and said "I want to buy all of your roses in the grounds of your gardens suitable as outdoor florist rose". So it was just to weeks ago  I designed and we planted  164 roses in 9m x 4m rose bed. In the mean time come the bare root session people have bought  more than 20. We are getting requests for potted roses because people want to get them as they see them flowering in the ground. So we decided to try and see how it goes.  

It is a dream to be able to afford and run an online nursery. We don't have the space and the man power for it though. So it looks like we will stay as we are and have something coming is as a drip drip drip... Even the drips are simply all blessing.

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th April 2015, 07:57

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Ayla are the 'Laxa' cutting grown or seed grown ? Just out of curiosity, how many roses might you have.

I realy don't know. I bought them in February for £0.25 each to do my own budding to restock my roses and use them as a a starter to produce my own laxa rootstocks  and to save  costs. What is the difference between them? you must have a very good reason to ask me this question. I would love to know why.

The reason I ask is 'most' rootstocks that the major nurseries use come from Europe as seedlings. Mainly from a couple of growers in the Netherlands. I have some seeds here at home which will be started in our Spring time. Some as rootlings and some as mother plants so I can then again harvest the seeds and also take cuttings as normal rootstock. Ayla could you tell me the nursery which you purchased your rootstock from please ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 8th April 2015, 21:32

I got the Laxa from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th April 2015, 06:49

Thanks Ayla, nice site, some good roses, I especially like, 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 9th April 2015, 08:01

Balinbear wrote:An hour after I posted the above the sky turned blue and its been sunny all afternoon. I ended up cleaning up some of the garden and mowed the grass.

Balinbear this week it is ever so lovely sunny weather here..  Friday we expecting 20 degrees C. I love it what a lovely week in the spring. it is not hot and it smells fresh  soil fresh green everything smells fresh.. The roses are putting on this lovely burgundy maghony and varigated baby leaves and stems. The Magnolias are in flower I keep going to the Magnoila that was supposed to be a black tulip magnoila but turned out to be a lovely creamy magnolia witha lovely deep  honey scent. The Primulas are so beautiful bursting with flowers.. whichever way I turn in the gardens I get lovely scent of the daphne, the sweetbox, the magnolia, the hytchins the wild primula ... and the neighbour's cat decided to live in our garden chasing the butterflies... I've got togo and chase it I have got tits and robins nesting between the sulphur Ivy and the fence panels just above the ground... and the black bird's home is almost on the gorund somewhere amongs the cut tree trunks..have got to go and rescue them from the troublesome cat...

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2