Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sports

5 posters

Go down

Sports Empty Sports

Post by Ausrose 5th January 2015, 16:18

Have you ever discovered a rose bloom that is different to the others on the same bush?

There are many different reasons why this can occur. The most common cause of such changes is what is called spontaneous plant mutation. When associated with roses it is called a sport though rare in occurrence, sports occur in all classes of roses.  In the majority of cases the difference in the growth habit or bloom colour to the parent plant. Sports are either stable or unstable. In other words when reproduced from the original mutated cane by either cutting or a budded plant the plants either retain the mutated form (stable) or change back to the original plant (unstable).

A well known rose that has produced stable sports in Australia is the exhibition red rose Kardinal. The rose registered as Pink Kardinal was discovered by Les Strathford in 1994 while in 1997 Graeme Catt discovered an orange version that now sells as Happy Anniversary. Some of the other sports available commercially in Australia include Louisa Jane (Baronne E de Rothschild), Louisa Francis (Louisa Jane), Bridget’s Joy (Coral Fiesta), Duette (Duet) and Chicargo Peace (Peace).

Last edited by Ausrose on 6th January 2015, 08:34; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Sports Empty Re: Sports

Post by neptune 5th January 2015, 16:50

You got me on the heading of this one , Doug.......I thought, here I go....a subject I know heaps about.....I will give you that one....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 5th January 2015, 17:46

Twice I've had a sport develop on "Glendore". It's a salmon colour. Twice I've put a ribbon on it so I wouldn't prune it off and twice it's died off. If it throws it again, I'll just take photos of it so I know where it is come pruning and cutting time.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 5th January 2015, 19:26

Coming from a former sports administrator your assumption is quite understandable John.

Over the years I've discovered four sports on my bushes only one was of any significance. This one was on bush of Kardinal and it was light red. I cut off the cane and made it into cuttings and tried to grow them but unfortunately they died.

This all happened a long time ago when I was a novice rosarian and if I ever discover another sport I would identify it then have the AQ bud it when appropriate.

Last edited by Ausrose on 6th January 2015, 05:54; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 5th January 2015, 23:31

Teas seem to be good at throwing out sports.

Maman Cochet has a white sport and a couple of recorded red ones. The white is very stable though we have had the occasional red flower on one of our whites.

Peace 1902 is a sport of G.Nabonand. Peace 1902 is a pale yellow but you can get pink flowers (reverted back the G.Nabonand) and yellow ones on the one stem.

Mme Joseph Schwartz is a white sport of Comtesse de Labarthe. It too is known for throwing out pink flowers similar to the original.

Isabella Sprunt is a yellow sport of Safrano. It appears to be quite stable though I understand others have had it revert back to the original.

The Bride is a white sport of Catherine Mermet. I can not verify the stability of this one as we have had no luck in growing either.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 5th January 2015, 23:32

The most common sport is the appearance of a climbing sport. Happened to many roses of different classes.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th January 2015, 06:10

Bear what you say is quite true. Thomas for Roses have over 100 climbing roses in their latest catalogue of which many are bush roses that have sported. Included in the list are well known shrub roses :- Queen Elizabeth, Joyfulness, Iceberg, Baronne E de Rothschild, Double Delight etc.

Thank you for including the sports of the older roses as it is an area which I have little or no knowledge and didn't include in my original post. It is obvious there are quite a number of older rose enthusiasts frequent this forum so your coverage of the older rose sports is quite appropriate.

Last edited by Ausrose on 6th January 2015, 22:56; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th January 2015, 19:22

Gary do you grow Maman Cochet , when we came to this house there was a tag saying it was in the garden but could never find what resembled any thing like it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th January 2015, 17:23

David
Yes we grow Maman Cochet. We have the original pink variety plus the white sport and possibly a red one in Bishop Lodge Jane Isabella Linton. We also have the Pink and the white climbers.

The Pink and white shrubs can both grow quite large as do the climbers. The shrub version grow from cutting reasonably easily. The climbing versions not so easy.

Pink Maman Cochet
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shrub (Showing signs of the hot weather we have had)

Maman Cochet Climbing

All versions flower quite freely

White Maman Cochet

Shrub version (also showing signs of the weather)

White Maman Cochet Climber a couple of years back (It got pruned in winter and it taking a bit of time to grow back)
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th January 2015, 06:14

Thanks again Gary, yes we did or do have White Maman Cochet, I am unsure if I like it. I was hoping it to be a true white. Now the next question is, the climbing form of Maman Cochet, how is it's repeat and is it a straight pink
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 9th January 2015, 07:31

Repeat is not too bad and yes it stays pink as in the photos. It has a typical tea big flush in spring and autumn and smaller flushes through summer and sometimes in winter.

As you can see it grows quite large.

If you want a white tea try Niphetos (though the tea ladies do not think there is a the real thing in Oz) snowflake or Mrs Herbert Stevens.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th January 2015, 15:05

Again thanks Gary. I am trying to build a stable of roses which in my mind "might" breed some good roses suitable for Australia. Niphetos is in the mix.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down