Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

"Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn"

4 posters

Go down

"Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn" Empty "Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn"

Post by Ozeboy 22nd December 2014, 09:57

This is a rare Tea rose mentioned as the correct 'Mademoiselle de Sombreuil'.
I doubt if you will see it listed in any of the Tea books. The leggy 'Mademoiselle de Sombreuil which is grown in numbers here is questionable as being true to label.

Since the history of these old roses adds to their appeal listed below is a brief history of M de S.

The French revolution commenced 13th July 1789. The daughter of Le Comte de Sombreuil a Barrister who lost his head for representing Louis XVI strived to save her father from the guillotine. It's no wonder in 1850 when Monsieur Robert of Biarritz, France, saw the exquisite white flowers on a seedling of 'Gigantesque he named the rose 'Mlle.de Sombreuil' in honour of this loyal daughter. It's also a fitting tribute the white petals are sometimes stained with a hint of pink. Look up the full history on Google.

Gary do you have this one?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

"Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn" Empty Re: "Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn"

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd December 2014, 12:37

Bruce as you seem to done some research on this, are you after it or 'Sombreuil'. After a quick look at HMF and Pat Toolans find of it, I would assume she or Margaret Furness would/might have it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 22nd December 2014, 17:00

David I do have a small plant of it for budwood.
I mentioned this one for Gary to let me know if he had it or would like to have a plant. Margaret has access to a plant as I did receive some budwood from her. However the plant I have came from a plant at Bondi which originally came from Deb Kelly. Amazing how some of these valuable roses are shared around and not lost. I urge everyone to keep some of these rare roses going.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd December 2014, 18:43

Any idea where Deb got hers from ? Are you "saying" that 'Sombriuel' and 'Maria Bruhn' might be the same rose ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 22nd December 2014, 22:56

Bruce

I have a small plant that you sent up last year but could do with another as it suffered in the heat recently with a bit of dieback.

The "Sombreuil" currently marketed in Australia is not the real thing but one that was reintroduced in the US and which eventually found its way here. "Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn" was found in SA and it resembles the original Mlle de Sombreuil.

HMF has a fair bit of discussion regarding this rose (see also the entry for Sombreuil) in the members comments with the general feeling that it is not the real Mlle de Sombreuil. I did note in that discussion that dieback is a "feature" of the rose.

It is a nice rose whatever it is and worthy of conservation.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd December 2014, 10:02

I have found difference in the two roses regarding growth though one was younger than the other.

Gary has plenty of room and a good climate for growth so would very much like to compare them after 5 years.

We are very lucky to have Gary growing these Tea's.
I didn't keep a list of what I sent him but nice to hear they are alive for the future.

I'm winding down finding it hard to look after the roses. However I received a Christmas phone call from a friend who mentioned how well some of the Tea's I grafted for her were growing. Some of these have been allowed to run out here so nice to hear some of the names again.

Gary I will set the wheels in motion to produce some more, one will have your name on it.

I'm also going to propagate some 'Don Juan' due to numerous requests. It's a HT Climber, very fragrant red. Despite it's HT breeding health is good.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 27th December 2014, 14:47

Hi Bruce - after reading this post I checked the CMB you sent me last year.  It is doing reasonably well after a tough 2013 summer.  It has minimal die-back and flowering beautifully thanks to the recent rains. A special rose indeed and once I bust the humidity death cycle up here will attempt to propagate her (happy to send you budwood if needed).  
Hope you and yours had a lovely Christmas - (Lindsay sends his best wishes) Lillian
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 3rd January 2015, 11:50

Hello Lillian, Pleased you have CMB growing well. It is a little slower to grow than a lot of Tea's. Thanks for the budwood offer but as no one knows about this one it will probably become a collectors rose.

Let's hope 2015 is a good year for all your family.
Sorry you didn't get a wish list to me as I am sick of looking after roses so gave away a lot . Have given up the idea of the nursery. Currently growing the roses and Dahlias I like. Still have the chooks (Pekin Bantams and Silver Spangled Hamburg large) droppings mixed with the modern version of Banana Special make a very good cheap fertiliser. All poultry based feeds have some salt which hasn't caused any problems but perhaps it will build up?

Best regards to Lindsay. Tell him all the pigeon racers have given it away because of the Falcons, just not worth the trouble anymore.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 3rd January 2015, 14:39

Thanks Bruce - A pity about the nursery, although the offer still stands re any budwood I can offer.
Lindsay has looked into pigeon racing up here but the humidity during wet season an issue ... he's still considering keeping chooks as a number of our neighbours keep them with minimal problems.
Perhaps you can market your special brand of fertiliser Wink - we found salinity an issue here in the bore water so rely on rain and dam water and fertilise with cow manure from nearby paddocks for the roses ...
All the best for 2015
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 5th January 2015, 10:23

Lillian, I'm not interested in developing any more projects, just so nice to retire and enjoy life at a more relaxed rate. Tell Lindsay to go to the nest Brisbane National, look over the chooks, pick a breed he likes then try to breed some perfect to the standard for showing.
I really like cow manure as there are a lot of things like salt in poultry feeds that I feel sure will build up in the soil.
The new Banana Special I mentioned is a Yara Mila Complex. This product is encased in a blue coating like a slow release which makes sure the fertiliser is spread evenly. The old Ban Spec was subject to separation of fine and course materials when agitated in transport which shouldn't happen now.
NPK is 12-5-15. applies to this new product. I used Banana Special here on the fruit trees for 8 years, the trees were 40 years old when I bought the property. Would appear there was no toxicity from all that time however there is a warning on the bag.
WARNING Do not apply at increased levels as this may result in toxic levels of Cadmium MPC.
It's good value at approx. $30 a 25kg bag.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum