Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

New Miniatures

3 posters

Go down

New Miniatures Empty New Miniatures

Post by Billndee 10th March 2009, 18:17

Went to the Taste of the Huon on Sunday. didn't buy any food but there were a few nurseries there. Bought some natives and succulants and 5 ROSES.
Jean Kennealy, Suntan, Rainbows End, Magic Carousel, Amorette. $20 for the lot, not bad ay?
I plan to plant them in a row along the edge of my pebble parterre. I will be able to see them out of the window. In the winter I want to plant behind the minis three of my Favourite Reds I have budded onto standards . On the fence behind that I have My Rosey Carpet trained to a hedge. That is not quite a hedge yet but it is getting there. I saw the idea for that at Girraween Gardens at Triabunna and it did look nice.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

New Miniatures Empty Re: New Miniatures

Post by Admin 10th March 2009, 20:05

Hey Deirdre - that's a great deal. Which minis do you have now? Must be getting quite a few now. I have grown 'Magic Carrousel' for years and years and love it! It was Mr Moore's first minis and remains one of his best. It grows tall for a mini and can get quite leggy so after each flush of flowers it needs to be cut back and fed up well. I have six 'Suntan' growing here at the moment and they are a very nice mini too but they don't like being moved... I moved mine last winter and they are not as nice this year as they were last year. I've just ordered 'Jean Kennealy' too because it is a good breeder and has lovely flowers. This one is one of THE exhibition minis. I've not seen 'Rainbow's End' or 'Amorette' before... will have to look them up... Don't forget to think of a spot to put your plant of 'Red Cascade'... it looks really good as a low pillar or a ground cover Wink

I got a few new minis last week too... I picked up plants of 'Cri Cri', 'Popcorn', 'Orange Honey', an unknown yellow (that I hope is Ko's Yellow) and an unknown red, and received some cuttings of 'Sweet Chariot'.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th March 2009, 09:21

Any pics to show off ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 11th March 2009, 23:17

I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow Thee.
I don't have many varieties of minis at all Tas. this is the first major purchase. I do however have a few dozen Softees forming a loose hedge/border around some of my rose beds.
I have a few of Fairiy and that is about all.
Hmmm, I vaguely remember you telling me about Red Cascade Tas but I must confess I had forgotten. Now I wish I had some buds of that when I budded the Dr Huey sucker. Do you have one in a pot ready for me? Or is it in the ground. We are coming northwards this coming weekend, yes really, finally! We are staying at Poatina Saturday night and are free to go anywhere after that although it is predicted to rain all weekend.
I could dig up Jubilee 150 and bring it to you maybe.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th March 2009, 23:43

The 'Red Cascade' is in the ground... but could soon be lifted Wink Not sure what the boss has planned for this weekend.. will consult and get back to you asap Cool Did 'Lavender Jewel' do any good for you? Softee huh... hmmm... maybe you could stow some cuttings of this away for me too huh lol!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 12th March 2009, 08:06

Oh yes! I forgot about Lavender Jewel! Growing like a blackberry! Hasn't flowered yet though.
You want Softee? I have one in a pot you can have whenever you want it.
On reflection probably not a good weekend to trudge around a garden, rain everywhere. Winter bare-rooting will be kinder to the plants too.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th March 2009, 12:30

waiting, I love the minis, might have a look later in the season as to what I can find LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 13th March 2009, 21:26

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

here are pics of Rainbows End and Amorette

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th March 2009, 23:04

Hi Deirdre... by 'growing like a blackberry' do you mean along the ground with really long canes??? It was growing like that here too which is very unlike the original plant. My little cutting is a small compact plant. I am wondering if it might have sported to make a climbing miniature version? Would be worth taking a cutting or two and seeing if it will climb. It makes sense if it has... one of its parents is 'Angel Face' and it has sported a climber three times by the look of it on HMF... once in 1981 and released by Haight, again in 1995 that was discovered at Ruston's here in Australia, and again in 1971 and released by Weekes.

'Rainbow's End' is a lovely colour. Does it change to red as it ages? Amorette is shown as an ivory white in"An Australian Guide to Miniature Roses" and is described as such in Botanica as well. It is Amorette though because it looks like it has really large flowers (for a mini) and Botanica also makes reference to this feature. I reckon the darker pink on yours is from a rain/wind/sun damaged set of flowers and with the good care it will receive in your garden I reckon it will produce lovely ivory white flowers.

Last edited by TasV on 14th March 2009, 20:32; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th March 2009, 23:06

Here they are:

Amorette:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

'Rainbow's End'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th March 2009, 23:23

Got me two more minis today too Smile Found a plant of 'Sweet Chariot' (also in the ancestry of 'Ebb Tide') and 'Peaches 'n' Cream'.

Brings me up to:

'Galaxy', 'Red Cascade', 'Gold Coin', 'Rise 'n' Shine', 'Snow Carpet', ' Popcorn', 'Lavender Jewel', 'Bluesette', 'Kindred Ice', 'Green Ice', 'Antique Rose', 'Cri Cri', 'Orange Honey', 'Sweet Chariot' (also have three that might be 'Baby Faraux'... very close to 'Sweet Chariot' ... I'm beginning to think they actually are 'Sweet Chariot'), 'Black Jade', 'Magic Carrousel', 'Nozomi', and two Rosanova Parade Roses (Poulsen) that are orange and creamy white, as well as an unknown yellow and red (that I hope will turn out to be 'Ko's Yellow', and 'Starina' respectively). I've got a few on order too... got 'Jean Kenneally' on order as well as a mini moss called 'Lemon Delight'. Got lots of mini seed hips rippening now too so hoping to add a lot more home-grown ones to the range next spring. I'll put cuttings of all in for you Dee (cept 'Kindred Ice'... it's still being evaluated here... I'm hoping this will be my very first commercially available and registered rose).

Last edited by TasV on 14th March 2009, 20:29; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th March 2009, 09:13

well done Tas cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 14th March 2009, 14:42

Tasv, where did you get Sweet Chariot from?

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th March 2009, 14:48

Just at one of the local nurseries Alee... was in the 'reduced to clear' table and has very ordinary yellow sickly looking leaves Rolling Eyes nothing I can't fix though Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down