Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Crown Princess Margareta

4 posters

Go down

Crown Princess Margareta Empty Crown Princess Margareta

Post by betsyw 6th August 2014, 13:12

I have a pair of these arriving tomorrow as part of Treloars shipment. This variety is the only one of the new arrivals that I know nothing about, except that it gets excellent reviews. Anyone out there who can advise on her scent, growth and flowering habits?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Crown Princess Margareta Empty Re: Crown Princess Margareta

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th August 2014, 05:58

Betsy, we have one, which I will state as "getting it's feet", with any climber I plant, I let them sprawl for the first or second year. My soil is "black loam", very heavy, but rich in "food". We maintain it with lots of water and liquid fert, at present we are using "worm juice". Very good growth using this method. The canes do become thick, maybe a bit rigid.
As for some of your other questions, the flowering is constant in my opinion. Seems like there are flowers all the time. I am not the 'sent' hound like your self, but when Carole cuts some of the blooms and places them in a small vase there is a pleasant fragrance in the room.
I have a question for you about it, how/where is it to be planted ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 7th August 2014, 06:46

Mine still a young plant , the scent is on the medium side.
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th August 2014, 13:36

Thank you, David! They've just now arrived - literally 15 minutes ago - and are having a refreshing drink in their Seasol-laced bath. (All the bareroots look really good this year, thanks to cold weather snap),

These two will be planted in teh ground by the front gate. I will send pix as soon as I ahve a minute. Will follow your lead, and let them relax for a season or two. They won't be required to climb very high , but, yes I'd like them to spread out to drape over and around the front fence bit.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th August 2014, 22:31

What else did you order this year Betsy?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th August 2014, 23:04

Well, silky, this year I had a list that was ridiculous - an allsorts of everyone's recommendations. Finally, I had to stand back from that list, and get a grip on why I grow roses to begin with. I grow them for their scent and the vase, primarily, with a few excpetions, but last season I found myself enslaved to impulse-buy roses that had little scent, cut poorly, or didn't produce enough to make more than a handful of nosegays.
(Jeez, will she ever cut to the chase?)
Hokay. Went back for more helpings of the proven few: 2 more Firefighters, another Valencia, another Sightsaver, another Jardins de bagatelle, and, God help me, another Love Potion, with a delusional optimism that maybe one day I'll get one of these that likes me, finally.

The Crown Princesses will go in the ground, the rest are condemned to pots.

Oh yeah, and my Gift Mystery Rose from Treloars this year is not too shabby - A Papa Meilland. Now, I know this one is probably the weakest grower of that illustrious family of reds, but the fragrance is superb and it cuts well. So we give it a nice pot for a year, and reap a few rewards, courtesy of Treloars.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th August 2014, 23:11

God Betsy, you're going to be knocked for six by the fragrance from all those beauties. I can't wait for my Firefighter and Valencia to do their thing. C'mon spring!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th August 2014, 23:24

God, I hope I do better this year than last, silk. At least now I will have a strong core of cutting fragrance: 6 FFs, 4 or 5 Valencias, three Fragrant Clouds, a bunch of Jardins de B. The Sightsavers are lovely cutters, and fragrance is lovely too, but mine hasn't bloomed well, so maybe having two will give me a decent yield. Love Potion is unreliable - one minute gorgeous, the next minute half dead. Ah well, we live in hope.

Hey, while I've got you here: last weekend we had a house party and somewhere well after common sense and decorum had departed, we blended pineapple and cream with some Cointreau, and topped up with champagne. I called it The Silky Fizz. I have no idea if it was good or vile, but at 2am anyway we thoughtt it was just grand . ;-/
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th August 2014, 23:51

The Silky Fizz huh? That's the funniest thing! It must have been good then Lol. You"ll have to put a patent on it now. Some of the best things in life happen at ungodly hours don't they? Thanks for thinking of me. ;-/
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down