Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

HMF has changed

4 posters

Go down

HMF has changed Empty HMF has changed

Post by Admin 22nd February 2009, 20:38

Today HMF changed from being a free service to a use-pay system. Some of the basic functions remain free but members will not be able to access the lineage reports or a, it appears, the images. Premium membership can be purchased for $24 USD/year. If you are already a registered member you can upgrade your membership here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I have upgraded my membership and it doesn't upgrade automatically... it seems there is still bugs in their software.

On a more personal note... I'm not real sure I like the sudden change but I use the NOW premium functions all the time and if I am to keep doing what I want to then I have no option but to upgrade... it's like saying hey guys I know you've been members here for free but if you want to stay members it's going to cost you $x... I can imagine the response. You can't change services that have been free for years to suddenly becoming user pay... especially without even warning the membership that this is going to happen... this is poor public relations IMO... will still use HMF as there is nothing else like it... but not very happy about it. I don't think so!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

HMF has changed Empty Re: HMF has changed

Post by Guest 22nd February 2009, 22:57

They have been asking for donations for some time now, they have explained that the cost of running the site had become prohibitive and they did not want to take adds. This site has become huge, they make nothing from the site and I can not imagine the work involved in keeping it running and updated. If no one is going to help support it then the other choice is to shut it down. I am very thankful they want to keep doing it and if that means a fee I am fine with it. I don't see why you need more warning.
The fees are aiming mostly at professional rose growers/breeders, (patent records and lineage) and rightly I would think as those folks benefit financially from the services they are providing so a fee is not out of line. You can still chase the linage back by clicking on the links on the page of the rose, but if you want all decedents by generation and the pedigrees then that is a choice to pay for it. Patents in Australia can be checked via the AU PBR web site, but this is a easy way to check them.

Where do you see that you can not access photos anymore, I can see them and added some today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd February 2009, 23:42

They have since fixed the image problem. Earlier today I could not access any images.

On one hand I agree with you Deb. The amount is not excessive and it is not unreasonable to expect to pay for it. It might be a very long time, if ever, before I benefit financially from the service but it is a worth while investment and will help them grow and improve their range of services. I know they've been asking for donations and am also grateful for the service and also know it is huge. However, on the other hand, there was no warning and it has been free for years. I've been a member for years and have used it almost daily ever since joining. To suddenly change is big deal if what you signed up for is a free service and you are using it often and then suddenly find you are unable to. In addition to this, if you are going to change something like this then one should ensure the technology exists to make the transition seamless. I upgraded hours ago when the new membership requirements were first implemented and am still unable to access the services that have been reclassified as premium services. I know I can always go backwards using the published parentage and can also view parentage details by viewing patents, however, I can't view descendants which is where I mostly end up and advanced searches are restricted to one advanced function. These are just two examples. I have to wait for someone to physically upgrade me before I can access these services or maybe there is a glitch in their new membership software... I don't know... but if the total membership totals in the thousands then it could be some time before they get around to me. This is not such a big deal in the big scheme of things... it's just a PITB. They have been making a big deal of the fact that they are not a thinnly disguised commercial website and I now notice that this message is now gone. They have silver and gold level sponsors that are really require a very low level of financial committment compared to the potential return they will receive from being sponsors. $384 USD for gold level commercial sponsorship or $168 USD for silver level sponsorship is hardly going to tax such massive companies as Hortico. It cost me nearly $30 to take out a three line ad in my local newspaper that has a circulation of maybe a few thousand for a single edition and would cost me many thousands of dollars to take out this same add every day, 24/7... Maybe they should have looked this way before changing their terms of use so they can stick more closely to their freedom of information mantra. Maybe they should have tried frying the bigger fish before the little ones

So yeah... I don't begrudge paying for it and have done so immediately. I just think it was a poor decision and hope that it doesn't bite them on the bum later on because one can search rose pictures and basic information anywhere on the net. Rogers can supply this kind of information as well if not quite as many varieties. If people have to now pay for information that was until recently free then they may go elsewhere.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23rd February 2009, 00:21

I think their bum will be just fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd February 2009, 06:21

So in the realm of things, a person like me who just looks now and again , how does this effect me. Once in the "blue moon" thing I might go through all avenues and links. Will I still be able to or do I pay the membership fee. It appears in this world it does not matter but "user pay syndrome" applies.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd February 2009, 09:25

At least you are getting some value for $30.

Have a look at people spending a lot of money drinking to access, smoking, and gambling, all they end up with is poor health and an empty wallet.

Old smoking jokes:-
Smoking is very good for you because:-
Burgulars won't burgle your house at night because all the coughing will make them think you are up and awake.
It will save you the embarresment of old age.
Dogs won't bite you as you smell too bad.

Did you hear about the smoking goods buyer for a large chain supermarket being shown around a cigarette manufacturing factory. The sales rep and the buyer did the completed tour of the factory. The rep mentioned to the buyer that he would probably not want to buy anything as he had seen the large pile of camel s*#t (manure) and a similar sized pile of tobacco in the mixing room.
The buyer replied "I want to double my usual monthly order as I though your cigarettes were made from all camel s*#*t (manure).

No, I wont bore you all with the drinking and gambling jokes I think you have had enough.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 23rd February 2009, 19:35

Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 23rd February 2009, 19:41

Well... David... this what they have listed as the services a registered member can enjoy:

Browse and enjoy entire website (not quite true as you can't view lineages etc)
Find nurseries offering specific plants
Post your reviews & comments
Add your nursery, garden or society to HMF
List plants you have bred or discovered
List your gardening publications and articles
Add your personal garden to HMF
Garden journal
Upload your photos
Vote for your favorites
Rate plants, nurseries, publications, etc.
Advanced plant list options
Private message board limited 1
Multi-criteria advanced plant search limited 1
Plant cutting exchange limited 1
Plant wish list

If you are an unsigned in guest you can do this:

Browse and enjoy entire website (not quite true as you can't view lineages etc)

If you a re paid up premium member you can do this:

Browse and enjoy entire website
Add your nursery, garden or society to HMF
List plants you have bred or discovered
List your gardening publications and articles
Add your personal garden to HMF
Garden journal
Upload your photos
Vote for your favorites
Rate plants, nurseries, publications, etc.
Advanced plant list options
Private message board
Multi-criteria advanced plant search
Plant cutting exchange
Plant wish list
Catalog & newsletter requests
Announcement subscription
Plant availability confirmation
Listing website links
Local maps & driving directions
Print-friendly printing
Plant patent link
Plant lineage reports
Preferred-listing lists
Member friends list
Private notes
Personal calendar
Plant watch list

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 26th February 2009, 12:39

Thanks for letting us know about this Tasv and Cree. I wanted to give a donation but was waitting a bit till I had some spare cash which wil probably be never. I am glad I can still look at the information and photos and also load up my own photos.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum