Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose Mosaic Virus

+3
AutumnDamask
neptune
The Lazy Rosarian
7 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rose Mosaic Virus  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rose Mosaic Virus

Post by AutumnDamask 8th November 2012, 20:03

neptune wrote:you will probably find that its from the budwood....

Cynic

Spectator
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th November 2012, 20:14

A cynic...ummph!.....

Rose mosaic virus apparently has no insect vector, and is spread through vegetative propagation of roses when virus-infected tissue is grafted to healthy tissue.
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th November 2012, 20:21

You all know I am not buying into the extent of this "virus", yes I acknowledge it is there, but IMO, without checking all the details, I think the "good Dr H" has a lot to do with it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 8th November 2012, 20:24

neptune wrote:A cynic...ummph!.....

LOL I meant you are being cynical about the "rootstock is virus free.... but the budwood is probably infected"

Razz
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th November 2012, 20:30

Rose Mosaic Virus  - Page 3 4118800704
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2012, 09:54

I have no idea what all this means , but l emailed Magic Roses and they say they have no virus in their plants , they have virus free woodstock . Magic emailed me back straight away , must be a concern to them . I did not buy Aoteroa or the DA's from them , i emailed the nursery where i bought Aoteroa from and they would like a pic sent , got a reply which was good . The DA's are long gone , got no backup now with them .... Oh and Magic Roses said that RMV is not contagious to other roses and the only way to get rid of it is to remove the plant ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th November 2012, 11:17

Maree, I have never had a virused rose from them myself either, based on two orders of 7 roses in each. We all know virus can be passed on from one rose to another by mixing the growing parts of one with another. ie rind, sap etc. I haven't had any experience with two roses side by side infecting the other or bugs carrying the virus. There are three rose propagators here including myself and our understocks are as virus free as far as one can tell by observation. Our problem lies in buying the problem in from outside sources either roses or plant materials like cuttings.
At the conclusion of grafting for 2011/2012 I have two infected batches of about 10 plants in each which will be burnt. The infection came in with cuttings purchased interstate. I have purchases 25 new bushes of which any infected plants go straight in the rubbish or burnt. It's costly building up stocks when anything infected has to be discarded. However that's the cost of having quality plants.

I'm pleased you all know about virus problems and an infected plant will grow but not as well as a non infected one.

Since opening up this can of worms I am still looking for a simple field test though have been very successiful keeping it out with best practices. Most problems arise from buying in infected plants. Whether breeding grafting or adding roses to my range I'm focussed on healthy vigorous plants.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th November 2012, 12:21

Without naming names on here Bruce, have you been in contact with the supplier of the budwood about your issues with the virused wood.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2012, 12:43

Ozeboy , it seems to me ,you are doing your best to supply quality plants and that is to be commended , hope you and all the breeders on this site get the recognition you all deserve .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 9th November 2012, 13:53

I have now taken the time to read the above articles carefully and understand that we cannot expect completely virus free roses from our growers/nurseries, we can only ask for a healthy replacement, should we be unlucky enough to get one. The industry is doing all to contain viruses that affect their stock, but simply have not found an effective way as yet. Demanding virus free roses nation wide would assume a level of expertise and equipment that cannot be reasonably expected from medium and smaller businesses, where very large renowned companies have thrown vast amounts at this issue to no avail. I am no longer even sure, if grafting, budding or pruning alone is responsible for MV transmission.

My very brief summary of research presented above:
Many articles focused on the techniques employed to (i) pick up the virus and (ii) destroy it. Much effort has been spent on refining these tests’ sensitivity and it became apparent methods of destruction previously though effective, including heat treatment, merely reduced the virus below levels that could be detected by contemporary tests. Overall, the virus would re-appear on treated plants at different time intervals, so that previously cleared individuals could re-develop symptoms randomly. Greatest sensitivity was achieved with an array of tests conducted on shoot tips grown in vitro. Some researchers found MV present in the pollen and seeds of roses as well as in the resulting offspring, however whether the virus was transferred via pollen or seeds was inconclusive, owing to some flaws in the research methodology. A whole range of viruses that occur singly or in combination affect all types of roses in all places, including the wild are observed, and often, but not exclusively associated with multiflora rootstock. In some cases they are spread by aphids or mites or an array of other culprit bugs, and in others the answer to the question addressing their aetiology is simply blowing in the wind.
However, roses do have their own defense mechanisms to combat MV, and these are most effective during hotter seasons, whilst they go right down during cooler seasons.

I have enjoyed reading this research and benefitted tremendously from it; thank you SO much for sharing, Henry. I can very highly recommend everybody takes a closer look and his summaries and also the whole articles were links are provided. Apart from RMV, there’s lots of other great info on diagnosing all types of viruses that can infect our roses. E.g., perhaps Paul would like to take a look at this article to see if the persistent red leaves on his roses he described recently look like the photos provided:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will highlight one of my favorite passages here for my friends who have not found the time to look at the articles as yet.

"Virus-infected plants cannot be cured. Once a plant is infected, it will remain so for life. In most instances, flower production is not affected. However, if symptoms become severe and the plant begins to decline, the plant should be removed. Keeping rose plants in good vigor by fertilizing, watering and maintaining pest control will help reduce symptoms in some cases. In the meantime, you need to remember that viruses can be transmitted by pruning and cutting shears. Virus-infected plants should be pruned last and/or have their flowers harvested last. To be extra cautious, wipe your cutting shears with alcohol (rubbing alcohol is good) or a 10 percent bleach solution between plants."

It’s excellent news to hear that reputed growers respond swiftly and favorably when contacted regarding an infected rose, Maree; thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Jac2 on 9th November 2012, 22:29; edited 1 time in total
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th November 2012, 19:29

I have not seen Rose Rosette Disease in Australia, hopefully it's not here (Yet). There has been some good articles gathered to highlight these issues. Where we go from here depends on assistance and cooperation between all those working on the problem. What you do is entirely up to you.

Closer to home (East coast of Australia) we have Myrtle Rust occupying nearly all the nursery peoples thoughts. What's next.

Please go back to enjoying your roses and give me some good news.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2012, 20:45

Good information Jac , well done !!! Ozeboy, RMV sounds like a walk in the park compared to Rose Rosette Disease , what a nightmare . Myrtle Rust such a problem too , Colony Collapse Disorder of bees another one , are these diseases a symptom of our overuse of pesticides and herbicides i wonder ..... Someone better start breeding a super rose , that is oblivious to all this , and with a beautiful perfume too lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 9th November 2012, 21:41

Yes, it was the management plan 2012 (a $ 1.5 million project) the Australian Nursery Industry developed in response to the pervasive Myrtle Rust problem throughout nursery stock that inspired me when I though of RMV. It seems in the case of MR, an extensive impact on the build and natural environments as well as native wild life has been demonstrated, including threats to native plant species across Australia and a number of endangered wildlife habitats.
“As a professional and responsible industry it is appropriate that all growers, wholesalers and retailers apply the relevant strategies to manage myrtle rust as described in this plan…
This Myrtle Rust Management Plan has been developed for use by production nurseries and retailers of greenlife including garden centres, greenlife markets (wholesalers), big box hardware, supermarkets, chain stores, etc. The plan provides a detailed framework for growers and retailers to apply on-site in the management of myrtle rust on plants of the Myrtaceae family…”
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th November 2012, 10:13

Guys, it's nice to see an organised effort to control these plant viruses and varieties of fungus. As Mosaic doesn't kill roses then it's not considered as important as other problems. I can't work out why the government acts well with some problems and not others.
The Honey bee and plant pollination has been under attack over the last 5 years from Verroah now in New Zealand and more recently Asian bees in Australia. The government states, "We will not be doing anything, beekeepers have to save their own industry.

Jac2, please keep up the research as I'm flat out with other issues.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2012, 10:22

Yes Jac as Bruce has just mentioned fantastic research and well worded, Are you a "detective" in your other life roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 11th November 2012, 21:44

No, I’m not a detective, but thought I was granted the green light to go back to my frivolous, frilly self …
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th November 2012, 05:43

You can keep your green light and frivolous, frilly self Jac, as I said your research is very well done
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 13th November 2012, 17:05

Jac2 Sorry I don't have anything concrete. Because it is not spread by wind but by rind or root contact I don't think it is a threat to other plant species. However when Species roses have been found with the problem then we must ask, "Where the hell did it get infected from"

Please excuse my late reply for my time has been taken up with other things. I often forget to logoff which may be misleading.
Anything you can do with your contact to halt the flow of infected roses entering the market will be greatly appreciated by all.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Kuska 14th November 2012, 05:55

The following was stated: "Because it is not spread by wind"

H. Kuska comment: Infected pollen can be spread by wind.

Henry Kuska

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-12-09

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th November 2012, 06:10

Henry, is there any proof that RMV can be spread by infected pollen.
This would give Jac2 amunition to get something done to halt all these infected roses.

I keep poultry and was in an area where Newcastle Disease was identified and at 15klm was just outside the wind infection area. This disease hasn't been seen in Australia for 100 years so imagine the panic to halt it's spread.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Kuska 14th November 2012, 07:23

RMV is not the name of a virus. It is the group name for viruses that give mosaic symptoms on rose leaves. If you type in the actual name or abbreviation of any of the viruses that cause RMV and "infected pollen" into Google Scholar you should get an idea of the research that has been done. For example for PNRSV the results are:

For apple mosaic virus, ApMV one gets:

In looking at the hits please keep in mind that RMV virus pollen transmission studies would have to be done in cool climates due to the experimentally observed observation that the plants immune systems are temperature dependent and in hot periods the virus is mainly below ground.

--------------------------------
The following very recent (Posted online on 10 Feb 2012) scientific paper (with a USDA co-author) may help convience a distributer not to carry virus infected roses:
"Some of the viruses associated with desirable effects in ornamental plants include virus species that are capable of causing disease in economically important crops. Therefore, regulatory procedures may have to be implemented with some of these viruses to minimize their dissemination."
-----------------------------------------------

Henry Kuska

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th November 2012, 07:54

Jac2 the last paragraph of Henry's is what you are looking for?

Henry, we still need the simple means of detection.
Items for consideration would be a virus wand to wave over the plant.
If infected the device emits a deep harsh noise. If not infected a sweet bird like note is heard.

There are numerous other devices that would be considered.

All frivolity aside I value your scientific papers and blame you for starting me on the road to breeding roses. I still use the sand and peroxide method you outlined. Thanks for all your help.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Kuska 15th November 2012, 07:46

For simple means of detection (visible) , it is possible to add a "dye" gene to the virus. See:

Of course, the non simple part is getting a university to do the experiment of attaching the "dye" gene, but maybe, someday.

Henry Kuska

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th November 2012, 10:01

Thanks Henry, don't know what we would do without you.
Stay with us as long as you can, the alternative is not very exciting.

Rather than universities spending time breeding a blue rose they should do the experiment of attaching the "dye" gene you outlined above.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th May 2013, 06:43

Henry K has found another good article about Rose Rosette Virus, not to be confused with RMV, here is a link,
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next