Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hybrid Musks

3 posters

Go down

Hybrid Musks  Empty Hybrid Musks

Post by Bonita18 30th October 2012, 23:04

I grow the following Hybrid Musks -
R Brunonii (the species once flowering rose)
Kathleen, Cornelia, Cousin Essie, Cara Bella, Nur Mahal (thanks Balinbear!)
Ballerina, Penelope
Here are some pictures from my garden:
Right to Left: Cara Bella, then Cousin Essie and then Kathleen [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kathleen Hybrid Musk[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Left: The Alister Clark roses Australia Felix and Marjorie Palmer the Alister Clark rose in front of Nur Mahal Hybrid Musk
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here are some others that are not Hybrid Musks
Borderer - Alister Clark rose
[b]Agnes - Hybrid Rugosa - the first Canadian bred rose
url=https://servimg.com/view/16115262/56][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
[b]The rootstock, once flowering highly perfumed rose: de la Grifferaie

A basket of de la Grifferaie

Enjoy or endure if you are a HT fan!

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Hybrid Musks  Empty Re: Hybrid Musks

Post by Balinbear 31st October 2012, 15:08

Bonita

Nur Mahal is a beauty. I told you she never stops flowering.

Try Francesca (Yellow) and Felicia (Pink). They should grow well for you as well. We have a few others but they have not done all that well as yet.

I think I will move to Toowoomba. You plants look fantastic. Got to add Kathleen onto the list for next year.

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st October 2012, 15:47

Gary can you tell me more about your "Francesca" please as it happens to be yellow
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 31st October 2012, 17:25

David

Yes I forgot you are a yellow lover like myself. Our Francesca was actually forgotten. It was planted on a bit of a fence rail thingo I put up for it to grow on as I had seen one growing over something similar in a photo.

It was a slow grower to start with and the large salvias and a monkey's tail we had planted near it overtook it and buried it completely and whilst I probably knew it was still there the red and the purple of the other plants looks so good I was forbidden to expose Francesca.

Anyway this year the salvia etc was looking a bit sick so I received permission to cut it all back and in the process exposed the Francesca that was still growing under all the other mess and it surprisingly had a flower on it.

The sight of the yellow (very deep to start with) flower was enough for me and taking my life into my hands I removed the Monkey's Tail and most of the salvia and gave Francesca a feed and in no time she was looking great. Not a lot of flowers but considering it had not seen the light of day for quite some time I figured that next summer she should be a beauty.

Where the Monkey's Tail was we have planted and Alexander Hill Gray (another yellow) that seemed to have had been sitting in a pot for quite some time. Isn't it amazing what you can find in your pots when you really stop and have a look? We purchased this plant 4 - 5 years ago and did not do all that well as it seemed to put up nearly 100 (I kid you not) shoots and consequently we had a plant with lots of shoots that did not grow all that high so it was dug out cut back and stuck in a pot to be almost forgotten about.

Anyway it’s looking great and the Francesca i powering on and probably if you stood her upright would be a couple of metres high now (grown at least a metre over the past couple of months.

You you have a look at HMF there is a picture of Cree's (Deb Kelly) plant which is the one that I saw.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st October 2012, 19:24

Bonita I have developed a type of Hybrid Musk line using a rose of mine call Whiz Kid. Here are two which have very strong musk like perfume and are huge bloomers, there are a few more around in the plot but I am still waiting to see how the will go in a few more years.

Here is Looking Cute
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Social Butterfly
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 31st October 2012, 19:44

Social Butterfly looks rather like Dainty Bess but the stamens are a different colour.
I love the Hybrid Musks particularly at this time of year.
Do you happen to know this rose. It is very like Cara Bella but definitely not the same rose - the sepals bend back differently, the calyx is not the same as the one on Cara Bella. The rose was arranged by David Ruston at Pittsworth in July 2011 (I think he brought it from SA) seems strange to be in bloom in winter. I asked Margaret F but she did not know it. The old blooms go quite green whereas Cara Bella does not do that. I wonder if it is another of the Reithmuller Roses as the foliage is very similar to CB. Any ideas please?

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down