Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Gardening boo boos?

+2
hariet~rose
silkyfizz
6 posters

Go down

Gardening boo boos? Empty Gardening boo boos?

Post by silkyfizz 30th September 2012, 12:27

Having just got rid of a banksia rose that pretty much demolished a fence, I wondered what was I thinking? This monster just got bigger and bigger over the years, obviously unsuited to the limited space of a suburban back yard. What possessed me? Visions of sweetly scented blooms adding that touch of wildness I love in the garden? Vigorous climber doesn't even begin to describe it - a triffid more like! I'm sorry I ever planted the blasted thing.
Am I alone in letting my imagination (delusions more like) get in the way of sense? Have you made dodgy gardening decisions you've lived to regret?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Gardening boo boos? Empty Re: Gardening boo boos?

Post by hariet~rose 30th September 2012, 15:36

yes, i planted this rotten blue salvia that has invaded all of my yellow rose beds. looks good for a micro- second and then is just a thicket of sticks.. next would be a euphorbia that went ballistic .. actually come to think of it both of those plants were given to me by the same kind friend.. he also gave me an orphan climbing queen elizabeth that i think i will pull out next year .. one flower per month during the season is a terminal fault don't you think?.. my banksia rose got pulled out of the gutters this year but can't quite bear to throttle it completely..
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th September 2012, 19:44

Yep , that rotten pink evening primrose ground cover , one little plant has turned into a absolute pest in one season gggrrrhhh ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st October 2012, 07:07

Ah, the Great Banksia Rose Suckhole. It's pulled a lot of us urban gardeners in with the swing tag promise of masses of sweetly scented blooms. Fine print: blooms once a year, spreads like a vertical weed. As it happened, I walked into the trap when a total novice, planted it in a shady spot, maybe saw four flowers a year, and a snaggle-sprawl of spindly tentacles reaching for the econd storey of the terrace house.

Ah, but there is not enough bandwidth to catalogue all my gardening errors. Most massive was the flowering cherry I put in a small planter box in same side courtyard with banksia. Never flowered, just preposterously grew and grew and grew and grew and grew.I understand you can see it from space

Of course, where it counts, at courtyard eye level, you can only see this fat stupid tree trunk rising from a planter suited for petunias.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st October 2012, 10:49

There a Banksia Rose in Toombstone Arizona that covers 1000 square metres (quater of an acre) on a trellis. Its trunk is something like 4 metres in diameter.
I took ours our when it started to go ballistic.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st October 2012, 10:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mine is not that big yet Gary, but I will try. Most members have seen this. If you have suburban block I suggest it is not grown, unless it was placed as weeping standard, which can be controlled
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st October 2012, 11:12

Roseman, that is a giant! But beautiful in the right setting. And I can't even imagine a 4m trunk! Thank goodness I got rid of mine before I had to call in earthmoving equipment.
My other gardening gaffes were allowing cotoneaster (sp?) to take hold because the berries looked nice, now I have established trees that I try to keep in check by lopping off large branches. And the grevillea robusta (robust is an understatement!) that I actually planted. It would feed native birds I thought. Ha! Now it looks down at me from on high (very) and blankets the yard with an endless supply of leaves.
You can see what a complete novice I was. If only I had my time again!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st October 2012, 15:18

David

Thats looks great.

What's it growing over and don't tell me one of your tractors?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st October 2012, 16:35

I'll be honest. That plant looks like the offspring of Cousin Itt and a hayrick. BUT sitting in splendid isolation, that massive tower of blooms must be sending out waves of the fragrance of Parma violets to the tenth power . Close your eyes and be transported.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd October 2012, 05:20

A chookhouse Gary
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down