Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts?

2 posters

Go down

Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts? Empty Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts?

Post by hariet~rose 19th August 2012, 20:31

Hello Rosebuds,
I am wondering whether a product called Kocide might be kryptonite for frost damage on roses. I was reading up on leaf curl in peaches as i have one tree that gets afflicted (thought it might have been a virus but apparently a fungal disease) and i read about this product called Kocide (Cupric hydroxide). It has a reported benefit of preventing frost damage on sub-tropical plants... so i was wondering whether it could be applied to roses at first leaf flush to prevent/lessen frost burn. My roses haven’t begun leaf burst yet (apart from a couple of rugosas) and i am willing to give it a try on my DAs, some of which are very sensitive to frost. I am not a big user of chemicals but apparently this one is used by some organic farmers. It sounds like it doesn’t burn leaves if it can be applied to tropical plants. I may not end up using it on my peach trees as my chickens co-habit the orchard and i would be worried they may come in contact with the chemical. The safety sheet for it says that it is dangerous near waterways and to fish and to invertebrates. Not sure how it could be used in an organic enterprise then?? Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this chemical?
Thank you, Hariet~Rose sunny
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts? Empty Re: Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th August 2012, 06:30

Kocide(Cupric hydroxide) is the best copper of all. It is the one we use here in the vineyard. The organic growers of grapes around here rely on it heavily. It is the one I use for my walnut tree as well. If you do purchase some of it, pack size might be an issue. We purchase though Landmark/Elders/CRT, it only comes in 10kg bags, you could contact one of the above and ask if someone in the area has some and they might supply a small quantity. The pach tree will repond to it with the reccommended spray program. I do not think it wouls effect the chhooks it you kept them away a short period whilst spraying, till it dried on the peach, As for being kryptonite, not sure about that, it would help eliviate some of the desease issues with your roses IMO, it won't harm them.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts? Empty Re: Is Copper Hydroxide kryptonite to frosts?

Post by hariet~rose 20th August 2012, 07:31

thanks roseman, is it too late to spray my peach tree if there are floral bud showing some colour but not yet open? The info. i read suggested before leaf bud was ok but it didn't comment on whether or not flower buds would be affected by spraying. Thanks very much, Hariet~Rose.
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th August 2012, 19:02

I have just written my thoughts on this and made big error, forgot to hit send. We will try again.
I would sacrifice the one rose or rose you do not like. If you do this could you possibley keep records for us that live in frost areas.
The other point, about the peach, I would have thought it is early for floral bud in your area, leaf movement yes, you might have a variety which starts early for district. All the references I checked said at budswell, for first spray.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 20th August 2012, 21:25

thanks Roseman - i have a couple of roses of the same variety in mind for the trial..and I will keep notes, some will get the spray and near neighbours won't.. still a week or two off the roses shooting though.. on the matter of the peach.. all of my peaches flower before their leaves shoot.. and my understanding is, that this is common for peaches..and 3 of the 4 trees in my orchard have fat flower buds happening now.. so in your experience is 'bud swell' referring to flower buds or leaf buds.. maybe it doesn't matter too much.. thanks very much, Hariet~Rose
[ps.. i replied to your email but was out west so hope it got thru']
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 21st August 2012, 06:06

Budburst/budswell is all the same in my mind, whether it be leaf or flower. Sorry I mis worded the previous reply on that. If the peaches are at the swelling stage you could still spray.
Yes thanks it did.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 21st August 2012, 18:13

well, the spraying is done .. i found a domestic quantity of Cu(OH)2 for sale.. thanks for your advice - much appreciated, sunny
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down