Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Can someone recommend fragrant , disease free tea roses please

+3
jordan71
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
7 posters

Go down

Can someone recommend  fragrant , disease free tea roses please Empty Can someone recommend fragrant , disease free tea roses please

Post by maree 13th August 2012, 21:25

Have read about and wondered about Tea roses , Moss roses etc , mainly through Mistydowns brochures and website , the ones that catch my eye are Francis Dubreuil ,Duchess de Brabant , William Lobb, Marie van Houtte and many others . Very fragrant , disease free roses is what i'm after , any suggestions ???? Thanks .....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Can someone recommend  fragrant , disease free tea roses please Empty Re: Can someone recommend fragrant , disease free tea roses please

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th August 2012, 05:35

Maree, are you a premium member of HMF, if so you could do an advanced search and pick your criteria, just a thought.
I have just done quick search, using only 2 criteria, Tea and fragrance, it came back with 240 chances.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Can someone recommend  fragrant , disease free tea roses please Empty Re: Can someone recommend fragrant , disease free tea roses please

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 07:38

hi maree,

i have Duchess de Brabant and never had a problem with her as far as black spot or mildew . she is a healthy rose at least for me
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th August 2012, 08:20

All the Tea's are very healthy, the leader in the Tea fragrance stakes is 'Devoniensis'. Best suttle colour goes to 'G. Nabonnand' also called
'Jean Ducher' in the cooler months like winter. I love the way JD grows with nodding blooms. All the best Tea blooms for colour are in the cooler months though these roses grow so well in the heat. They are best choice for Queensland where they grow well past documented sizes.

There are so many passonate growers of Tea roses, many have been found over the past 50 years in old cemetery's and country homesteads. I have a lot of these you will never see listed in commerce, though similar they are different in some ways.

The book "Tea Roses" Old roses for Warm Gardens is a must for any Tea Rose collecter. There is so much more information there that can't be found on HMF and other publications. The authors add quite a lot of local knowledge that is also very interesting.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th August 2012, 19:05

Thanks Roseman , Jordan , Ozeboy , i'll keep researching , found some interesting info on Honeysuckle Cottage , i'll throw some more names at you Ozeboy when i have them sorted and see what you think ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th August 2012, 20:28

Thanks Ozeboy for the suggested book "Tea Roses" Old roses for Warm Gardens. I happened to be at the library today and checked if they had this book. And they did! So I will be delving into it in the next few days and learning more about the teas. There's always more to learn isn't there?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 14th August 2012, 22:27

There are numerous teas that appear to be healthy in most places though they sometimes don't like the cold.
It probably depends more on the area available. The pink ones we have include:
Almerta Pink Tea: Medium Nice flowers. Our is only 12 months old
Baronne Henriette S​noy: Medium beautiful perfume
Bon Seliene: Dark Pink can get large Very sharp thorns but great flowers
Comtesse de Larbarthe Clg
Comtesss de Labarthe: One of the best Always flowering with nice perfuem. Can be pruned to keep under control. Cuttings generally strike easy. We have about 70 or so of them of which we purchased 2 or 3
Comtesse Riza de Park: More Apricot/pink. Nice large flowers
Cottage Hedge Rose ROR: Ours are getting huge. Ours have pink flowers but others report the colour varies with the temperature
E. Veyrat Hermoanos; Climber that can get out of control Nice flowers but ball when wet
Freiherr von Marshall: Probably is not the real variety. Ours has never grown too much but we moved it in April and it looks like it likes its new spot better.
G.Nabonand: Great performer, seems to have a lot of dead wood in it though. Good medium schrub with lots of flowers
General Schablikine: Looks a lot like Mons Tillier but its different. Can get large
Homere: Nice small flower though not a great performer at our place. Seems to do better "down south"
Hugo Roller: It and Penelope Tea are almost identical. Nice flowers but ours don't seem to want to grow very large. Our Penelope climber is growing well
Jane Isabella Linton: Red Maman Cochet? Nice flowers but ours don't seem to want to grow very large. Just recieved a new one so we'll see how it goes
Loraine Lee: Nice plant not a real performer for us though it seems to get better each year. Great perfume
Maman Cochet Pink: Nice open plant. Ours are getting large also
Maman Cochet Pink Climber: Plant it and stand back I'm sure I can see it growing.
Mme Antonnie Marie: Good flowerer but ours attract scale something bad. We may have a climber in a bunch of ten we have growing in a circle.
Mme Berkeley: Good performer that does not get too large. Smaller flower.
Mme de Tartas: We have 4 of these that are quiet achievers. We shifted one in April and I though that I'd killed it as it did nothing for about 6 weeks. It's about 0.4 metres high and is covered in bright pink flowers and lovely fresh green growth at present. The others probably get too much shade whereas this one gets more sun. I stuck 8 bits of the offcuts (when it moved it) in the ground and now we have another 8 growing plus one that had layered itself.
Mme Franziska Kruger: Another quiet achiever that impresses me more it gets older. Does better on its own roots at our place.
Mme Hoste: Probably Auguste Compte. Has not done too much at our place but maybe on bad rootstock. I will have to try to get a cutting going.
Mme Lambard: Another big mother. Great flowers but the thorns eat you up. Does not like being pruned thus one of ours is the size of a car but twice as high.
Mons Tillier: Enough said. Ours tend to be a bit redder at this time of year
Mrs B R Cant: Large but can be kept under control though we grow ours as climbers
Mrs Dudley Cross: Lovely plant with flowers that are different colours depending on the time of year
Octavis Weld: We struggle with these. They grow well for a few years then die off. Usually I get a couple of cuttings growing to replace the deaths
Rosette Delizy: Another beauty that can get large
Rubins: Ours is only new as the other one got run over by a bobcat and I couldn't save it
Souv d'un Ami: Another one that looks like MT but is smaller growing
Sulmanique BL: Dangerous thorns and is probably a Hybrid Tea. Large loose flowers
Tipsy Imperial Concubine; Small with pale pink/cream floers. Very fragrant
Triomphe du Luxembourg: Another one that is probably not what its sold as. Nice Pink flowers. Ours is only 18 months old
W R Williams; Large shrub. Large flowers with no perfume. Could proably take it or leave it
Marie Van Houtte; Watch out if you plant this in the sun. If the storm did not blow it over ours would be 10 metres diameter and 3 metres high by now. Always in flower but dangerous to try to cut the old growth out of.
Souv de Mme Leonie Vernott; Climber that will cover your house in time. Only really flowers well in spring but has flowers on it most of the year

Some of these are the varieties that are sold in Australia and are not the correct variety. There are others that are white/pink (eg Maman Cochet White) that I have not included in the list.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th August 2012, 22:32

Thanks Balinbear , thats really helpfull , think i'll definately look for small teas , when i get some names i'll post them and see what you think ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 23:32

Gary, thank you for that wonderful list and description.....it is so helpful
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2012, 05:53

Well done Gary, very impressive. If you could pick one(favourite) out of them which would it be Question
I know this might not be possible Gary, when they are in flower could you photograph them and we could place them in our 'gallery'
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2012, 08:48

The Tea rose for small sized gardens is definately 'Devoniensis'.
Small, slower growth, great cream blooms with fragrance to die for.

Warning! do not buy the climber it's a monster.

Gary, I'm impressed with your list and the descriptions.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th August 2012, 09:15

I will try to do the other colours when I get a spare minute
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th August 2012, 09:24

roseman wrote:Well done Gary, very impressive. If you could pick one(favourite) out of them which would it be Question
I know this might not be possible Gary, when they are in flower could you photograph them and we could place them in our 'gallery'

My favourite depends on the time of the year. We have a lot (i will have to count them one day) of Com de Labarthe but it is hard to say that it is my favourite until I look out one day and there are literally thousands of flowers in the mass planting we have of them up the back garden. I walk around the garden and find all of a sudden that Snowflake is in flower and can't get over how nice it looks. Our climbing White Maman Cochet in late spring is my favourite then etc etc.
I have masses of photos so I will try to shift them onto the gallery here. Until I do most of the roses we have are on our gallery.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2012, 13:16

Gary, what a wonderful garden of Tea roses. The hours that have gone into documenting all with pix is fantastic.

Are you sure you have room for 'Souvenir de Pierre Notting' and 'Lorraine Lee Clg' I propagated for you. They are ready to send.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th August 2012, 15:17

Bruce

Always have room for a yellow tea and I have the materials for the pergola for Lorraine sitting under the house.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2012, 18:39

Will send Monday next. There are a few old found Tea's here that will be bud grafted this November so better make more room for extra Tea's in 2024. Most are courtesy of Margaret.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th August 2012, 21:11

I'm starting to think this could be mission impossible for my garden , but i'm not giving up , just need a fragrant, healthy , free flowering , small, cold tolerant tea rose bush . Thanks everyone , i'll just keep looking ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2012, 21:31

maree, do yourself a favour, try 'Devoniensis', it ticks all your boxes.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th August 2012, 21:34

Okay Ozeboy , will look into that one , thanks ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 16th August 2012, 11:02

Balinbear, just spent time looking at your gallery. My, how absolutely wonderful, it's like a rose paradise. Congratulations on creating such a place of beauty and tranquility. I can't even imagine the amount of work that has gone into it, or the knowledge that has enabled its creation. May I ask how long it has taken to create?
I feel very insignificant with my little suburban plot but have so enjoyed seeing your roses. Thank you!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th August 2012, 17:38

silky
It feels like it has taken forever but most of it has happened in the last 5 years. Some is older (ie the large roses) but a lot has been changed since we first started with a lot of planted moved from their original position and others simply tossed or given away as they have not been any good in our locality.
Of course it is still changing but I think we have it down to what we want and what has shown to be most suitable for our area.
We still have a few acres that the daughters horse keeps trimed so we will probably take a bit more of that before we are finsihed.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th August 2012, 21:16

I'm with you Sikyfizz , i too had a envious look at Balinbears garden ,beautiful, beautiful , but oh my aching back ......
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down