Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

BD... the cuttings arrived :)

3 posters

Go down

BD... the cuttings arrived :) Empty BD... the cuttings arrived :)

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 18:02

Thankyou so much BD... those cuttings look amazing! I think I should be able to get budwood AND cuttings out of this lot. Can you tell me a bit about 'Plantier'? I know it is a Tea but there is not a lot of information around on it. It's not in Botanica or Macoboys, there's no pic on HMF, I know it was bred in 1835 in France (parentage unknown), Roger's lists one called 'Mme Plantier' that is an Alba, but that's it! Also, which 'Sparrieshoop' is this? Is it this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ? I LOVE 'Fantin-Latour' and the Dainty Bess cuttings are excellent. I'm going to bud some of these onto multiflora rootstocks tomorrow Cool Thanks again Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

BD... the cuttings arrived :) Empty Re: BD... the cuttings arrived :)

Post by Billndee 7th January 2009, 21:44

Mme. Plantier(1835) is listed as an Alba. She is thornless and has a flower much like Mme Hardy. "Large clusters of scented, small double and creamy flowers aging to white".She flops so needs a support and can be grown as a hedge of a small climber. She is supposed to grow to 3.5m. Mine is still trying to get there. She would look good on your new seat because of having no thorns but she has been a bit slow for me. I have a photo that is not the best but I will put it on my gallery. Sparrieshoop is the common pink one. I think I already have a pic of it in my gallery?
Give yourself a full m2 for Fantin Latour! She suckers! Or bud her onto a root stock.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 22:39

ooohhhh... it's Mme Plantier not just Plantier. Plantier is listed as Tea and Mme Plantier an Alba.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 8th January 2009, 07:41

I've got a suggestion for your new seat, as if you need one, but I think it would look good somewhere, anyway!
Plant a sparrieshoop on each side. It will grow straight and 2.5m in no time and reapeats with the prettiest feminine flowers, but it is a bit leggy in appearance. Soooo, plant Mme. Plantier close alongside the Sparrieshoops so she can intertwine and cover the legginess. The colours and shapes of the flowers would complement each other perfectly. And, I think Mme.P holds onto her leaves. Not too sure about that though.
Now I must think of something like that to grow up Altissimo!

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th January 2009, 07:54

There is a beautiful photo of MME P in Susan Irvin's book Rose Gardens of Australia. Of interest the photo is taken in Tassie. The plant appears to be about 6ft tall by about 5ft wide, very dense growth and just loaded with flowers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2009, 10:01

Billndee wrote:Now I must think of something like that to grow up Altissimo!

Clematis... A white double clematis love

I've got two new gardens on the run here. One is the jungle where the Teas will go. The other is far more civilised and where the rose seat is. I've already got Climbing Cecile brunner tagged to go on the seat, planted on the back and then fanned out as she grows. She is in a pot and needs to be set free and is also almost thornless. At one end of the seat is a plant of Anemone... a hybrid laevigate that whilst thorny is planted far enough away that it will just form a shrub at the end without encroaching on the seat. I havn't decided what I will put on the other side yet. The bed the seat is sitting in is pretty big, stretching some 15m long and when I'm finished 10m or so wide in a roughly oval shape. It's extending a bed that already exists that has roses in it already.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 11th January 2009, 00:48

Sounds great Tasv. I saw a Cecile Brunner in a photo from America grower over like a bower with a seat inside, it was so beautiful.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down