Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

This morning's stars

2 posters

Go down

This morning's stars Empty This morning's stars

Post by Guest 29th December 2008, 11:18

A little background. The Cl rose sold as Sombreuil is thought to really be Colonial White, but it has been decided to drop the real name and stick with the one that is now commonly used. This rose below is thought to be the real Mademoiselle de Sombreuil 1851 which is a bush.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mrs A R Waddell 1908, was a found rose in Australia and later identified. This rose is the parent of Albertine. It is a Pernetiana, a class of rose now included in with the HTs. Pernetianas were from Tea roses crossed with Rosa foetida f. persiana. This was done to change/improve? the lovely subtle colours of the Tea roses into the hard yellows and oranges we see today. It also certainly brought in much of the susceptibility to black spot that we find in many moderns today.
This rose still retains the lovely soft colours of the tea but did inherit some weakness to blackspot.

Alister Clark's Sunlite 1937 is listed as an HT. Lineage is unknown.

This is a found HP from QLD. It was not found in Warwick. It was found on a property in far west OLD, the name of the property or it's location was not know by the person who gave me this rose.
Was thrashed about by the high winds yesterday so a little tattered.

Back to top Go down

This morning's stars Empty Re: This morning's stars

Post by Guest 1st January 2009, 09:41

i love the real Sombreuil. I also like the half petals in the inside of Sunlit which is one AC that I do not have - a bit like Belle Portugaise or similar name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st January 2009, 22:25

I and a freind are propagating an Alister Clark rose called Argosy. It is an old HT. Fushisa pink and salmon orange double blooms. Repeats, upright growth. As far as I know no one offeres this rose. If you are interested email me about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd January 2009, 09:30

I'd like to try and find an AC HT called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I know Hedgegrow nursery offer it... they seem to have a lot of nice ones... if you have pics of Argosy Deb you should put some onto HMF... they have none for this rose yet.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2nd January 2009, 10:28

There are no pic's of Argosy. As far as I know there is only one plant at Ruston's. I had to order bud wood and grown it. It is very rare, none of the nurseries carry it. Many of the nurseries order their AC roses from growers, the growers carry a limited selection of the popular ones. That is why you see the same ones offered at most of the nurseries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 6th January 2009, 18:03

TasV wrote:I'd like to try and find an AC HT called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I know Hedgegrow nursery offer it... they seem to have a lot of nice ones... if you have pics of Argosy Deb you should put some onto HMF... they have none for this rose yet.

Owww! If I knew you wanted Sunny South thismorning when I was packaging your cuttings for the post, I would have included Sunny South! It is a Clark rose. I can send you some?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2009, 18:26

Darn... oh well... I need to get a few more understocks going first. How would you rate it for down here D? Would you put it in a no-spray Tasmanian garden?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 7th January 2009, 12:33

TasV wrote:Darn... oh well... I need to get a few more understocks going first. How would you rate it for down here D? Would you put it in a no-spray Tasmanian garden?

I'm posting you some cuttings this afternoon for you to strike in one of your bottles Tas. it is a toughie.
It will do well in a no spary garden I think. Mine looks not too bad.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 7th January 2009, 17:38

Billndee wrote:
TasV wrote:Darn... oh well... I need to get a few more understocks going first. How would you rate it for down here D? Would you put it in a no-spray Tasmanian garden?

I'm posting you some cuttings this afternoon for you to strike in one of your bottles Tas. it is a toughie.
It will do well in a no spary garden I think. Mine looks not too bad.
On second thoughts it does get a bit of black spot. If you want to use it in a no spray garden it could be positioned at the back of a bed. It is the kind of bush that stands tall and shrub-like and is not too noticable until it gets flowers on it.
Anyway, I have sent you some cuttings, grow them and see what you think.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum