Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Cochets this week

Go down

Cochets this week Empty Cochets this week

Post by Guest 28th December 2008, 19:46

40 mm of rain last night, 33C hot winds today and has been like this all week.
I have to admire the Cochets, they look very good despite the thrashing.
Thought I would share them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Cochets this week Empty Re: Cochets this week

Post by Admin 28th December 2008, 22:01

Bishop's Lodge... hmmm... I've just been reading about this one... named after the wife of the first Bishop of the Riverina... if anyone is interested in obtaining this lovely looking rose you can do so here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I am going to add this one to my collection this year too Thumbsup

'William R Smith' also looks beautiful Deb love

My new little Tea, Comtesse de Labarthe (Duchesse de Brabant) isn't looking so hot atm. It's growing strongly but the little cutting grown plant is suffering from a dose of mildew atm... which is a real shame because it was looking really nice and the PM has spoiled it a bit Sad

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28th December 2008, 22:33

Bishops Lodge in Hay is the place that a number of old roses were found. All the roses have Bishops Lodge as the first part of their name.
Isabella Linton was the wife of Bishop Linton. There are many other BL roses, not just this one. The collection is mostly tea roses and early HT's.

The roses are sold by BL to help pay to maintain the gardens and the historical buildings, they are non profit. These funds are important to the preservation of these historical roses. So please try to buy directly from BL.

I have most of the collection.
Here are a few more

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th December 2008, 22:51

Deb, are the Bishop's Lodge roses renamed old roses (ROR) or are they varieties actually bred, raised, and registered by, or for, Bishop's Lodge?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th December 2008, 10:17

They are ROR roses.
Some of them have been identified, others they have a good idea, and still others they have no idea what the ture identity is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st January 2009, 09:43

I think I will have to make a trip out to Hay in the autumn :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st January 2009, 11:23

You can order bareroots to be sent by mail. Just call them.
Spring is the best time to visit, there is also a a little happening in the town of Hay in spring which is ice to time your visit too. They can tell you the dates for next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 4th January 2009, 02:16

I tried emailing Bishops Lodge tonight and it failed to send. Anyone know if their details have changed?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2009, 09:18

I always just call them. I am fairly sure they would not ship to tassie.

If you really want them and you want good stock and you want to get the rose you are ordering, I would sugest to order bud wood from Rustons. They are shipping now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2009, 10:54

Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that. Maybe for next year and I'll know to have more rootstocks ready. I could bud them onto large multiflora plants I guess and then strike the multiflora stems once the bud has taken... hmmmm

Last edited by TasV on 6th January 2009, 17:19; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2009, 11:05

Shocked yummy roses Cree, how many you got Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2009, 16:52

Hi Estate
I have all of the BL Tea and early HT roses that are not known roses already on the market, maybe around 10. BL Hay is in the same region I am in and has a similar climate, so they do sell here.

Awful day today, 38C and climbing, hot dry wind, just nasty outside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2009, 18:59

Deb, You spiked my interest in buying budwood from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . Have you done this before? A quick look at the website says it is a wholesale seller of budwood.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2009, 20:49

Yes I have, Bruce has done the budding. The roses that you listed are the ones we are doing for this winter.
There are 2 roses than no one has, Wootton Cl a beautiful nodding very double dark red repeating bloom with fragace and the Alister Clark rose Argosy which is fushia pink and apricot double repeating.
The other 2 are really excellent tea roses, one yellow and the other cherry red, both cover themselves with blooms and are well floiated to the ground, both are difficult to find in good clones.
These are roses I am collecting for my garden and had no other way to get them. We hope to be able let others enjoy a few of them too, as they are just not something you can find.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2009, 21:51

So how did you manage to buy the budwood? Are you registered as a nursery? I have emailed them asking them for more information and asked if they have a catalogue of what's available (which must be a nightmare with over 4000 varieties OMG!!! ).

I'll have to go back and re-read our emails as I can't remember which ones I said I'd like Embarassed

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2009, 22:07

Wotton I have learned was the very first American HT. I beleive it has been lost in the US, may be in Europe but is not listed anywhere and low and behold as far as I know only one plant exsits at Ruston's.
I learned to take a little time and look closely at rose that are being discussed, or something special may slip away while you are not paying attention...LOL
Not everyone will bash you up the head and say....Hey look at this again more carefully, they figure you know what you are doing eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2009, 23:20

hmmm... not real sure where you are going with this... I was more after how you were allowed to buy the budwood given it says they are wholesalers...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2009, 00:18

I was referring to your sentence,
....I'll have to go back and re-read our emails as I can't remember which ones I said I'd like....

All I am trying to say is that all 4 are very nice roses each with some real points of interest. Atleast to me. I am not sure why you picked the one you did and ruled out the others, it was not discussed.

Lots of hobby growers buy bud wood. If you want patented roses then this would be a different, as royalties will have to be paid and other issues resloved. Lucky for me I am only interested in the historical old roses. Just call them up and talk to them, they will be very helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 00:40

ahhh.. I get you... my decision was based on economics really. I chose the one that I thought sounded the most appropriate for me at this point in time... I spend a lot of money on roses and I need to exercise restraint LOL That and Souvenir de Wootton was descibed as a climbing rose as was MME Jules Gravereaux, and Vestey's Yellow Tea ROR is yellow and I am trying to stay away from large yellows for the time being until I can plan a new bed to work in the yellow better than the hodge-podge I have now, and Argosy is descibed as an HT and I am steering away from the HT despite its heritage value, the Camnethan Cherry Red ROR took my fancy the most because for one it is a Tea and I want to try a range of Teas here, this one is two-tone red with a light reverse and I have a spot all planned for it already Smile LOL that was my thought process Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2009, 06:58

You'll have to get into tripods. Then you can slip a climber in just about anywhere and without a real building job. I use log poles as they are available to me. Metal concrete enforcing rods work well too and are almost invisable.

Marie Nobannand

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 09:21

Yes... I've been looking at the tripods in your photos... I need to do something like that.. especially as I am wanting to use gigantea in future crosses... All the first generation will be climbers and will all need to be trialled on something Rolling Eyes I have a big rose garden under preparation... about an acre of it but it is a very new garden, only 1.5 years old so I haven't made all the beds or put in all the structures etc not enough hours in the day... I have a stash of 20 of so treated pine logs... I need to do something... and maybe learn to weld Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2009, 09:42

This is how I put up my log tri pods..and I can do this all by myself.
After the bed is prepared, I measure out the location for each leg of tri pod. Then I dig a hole only about 5-6" deep.
I place the logs on the ground, and drill a hole through the top of each log about 4" from the end. Then I place 2 logs side by side and stack the third on top of these two. I then take a heavy grade wire, and twist together several strands, about 3 ft long total. I then thread this twisted wire strand through all three holes. Pull tightly and twist both ends together tightly. Cut off any excess. This holds the top together and klooks very neat.

I then lift up all three poles togther to the upright postion (hardest part). I place one leg in each hole. Level the tri pod. I then drive down a 2.5ft star stake right next to each leg. I make the the top of the star stake below ground level. I then wire the leg to the star stake. The star stake will hold the tripod in place and prevent tipping over or leaning. Then refill the hole.

Because 10ft poles are so expensive I use 8 ft poles. I do not sink the poles into the ground, as I would end up with a trip pod only about 4-5 ft tall which too short.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 10:02

Great idea using the star picket anchor. I'll make one over the next week or so (if I ever get number one Son's room finished Rolling Eyes ) and post (no pun intended Hmmmm ) some pictures... think I'll put on in for Lamarque first.

Because I have a large rose garden, with a few acres of non-rose garden I was thinking I might plant some climbers in one of the other paddocks, fence them off and just let them form mounds and go wild... thinking of doing 'Fortune's Double Yellow' like this.

Last edited by TasV on 8th January 2009, 23:40; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2009, 10:32

Lamarque is a big climber easy 20 ft or more, better suited to cover the roof of a pergola or up a tree.
Tripods are good for pillers or short to moderate shrubby climbers. They are also good for internal supports for very large shrubs in windy places, like the bushy noisettes or large tea roses shrubs.

Crepuscule in it's second year with 7 ft tripod for internal support. Crep will stand on it's own very well and make a 12 x 12ft shrub, its growth the shrubby. But the location of this plant gets 100K winds, the tripod it to stop it from getting knocked over in the wind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2009, 11:12

cree wrote:Lamarque is a big climber easy 20 ft or more, better suited to cover the roof of a pergola or up a tree.

yeah.... that's what I'm worried about... I'm going to have to move it to put it over my new deck... maybe put Pegasus or Wild Rover there instead.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down