Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Revisiting our Terms of Use

4 posters

Go down

Revisiting our Terms of Use Empty Revisiting our Terms of Use

Post by Admin 26th November 2011, 23:02

Rose Talk Australia is growing at a rapid rate and with this growth comes certain responsibilities. One of them is to ensure that all our new members are familiar with our Terms of Use document. We often gloss over this document when joining a new forum but by joining you have agreed to abide by these rules and so you should know what they mean. Following is a list of our terms from our terms of use document. The sections in RED are the terms and the sections in blue are the explanations added for explanation purposes here. I have taken this opportunity to make some changes and these are shown below as well.

Welcome to Rose Talk (RT). The text above is set by the forum's host and cannot be editted.

Following is the terms of use that members must agree to prior to joining and using any of RT's services.

1. Membership is free with no obligation to post with any frequency or participate in any exchanges or discussions. There is no age limit for posting and junior members are more than welcome.

You can join at 'lurk' as long as you like. Our main goal is to promote roses and this can occur passively or actively. We would love everyone to join in but understand that some may not want to.

2. RT has a classifieds section in which members may list items for sale. Conditions apply and are explained within this document.

3. Commercial enterprises MAY join and MAY post in the classifieds section on the provision that they are actively involved in the forum and do not post links to external sites. Links to external commercial and non-commerical websites are only permitted to be displayed in the links forum. NOTE: Commerical enterprises selling roses covered by active PBRs or other such patents must be the owner of said rights and licenses. Rose Talk Australia will not be held responsible for legal action stemming from the illegal sale of plants. Commercial enterprises can become RT supporters and can contact the Administrators to request a dedicated forum be added for the sole purpose of informing RT members of news and events being held by the enterprise. Links and images are permitted in these dedicated forums on the understanding that they will be moderated by the Administration and are subject to our terms of use and may be removed or moderated without consultation if it is felt they are in violation of our terms in any way.

If you are the owner of a nursery, a manufacturer of gardening equipment of other related products, you may join and post here and even promote stock so long as you do not add any externallinks to such promotions. I have placed links to rose nurseries that I am aware of around Australia. These are placed in the links forum. Links are to be placed here. If you would like to become a RT supporter you may contact me privately and request a specific forum be made for your business in which you can post links and images on the understanding that they will be moderated and reviewed by the administration and any posts deemed unsuitable or in violation of the our terms of services will be removed without consultation.

4. Trading live plants, plant products, gardening equipment, and seeds in Australia comes with special responsibilities. Each State has its own quarantine regulations and it is important that people are mindful of each individual State's laws. It is up to the individual to familiarise themselves with these regulations. RT will in no way be held liable for any legal action initiated as a consequence of any member's failure to familiarise themselves with these regulations. Further information can be found in each State's Department of Primary Industries websites.

Moving plants around Australia is subject to quarantine restrictions. Tasmania and Western Australia seem to have the most stringent quarantine restrictions, however, every state has them and it is up to you to know what they are.

5. These forums are dedicated to the exchange of information. This is done so freely and in good will. Any advice given on these forums is given without warranty and should help you make your decisions but not necessarily determine them. Efforts will be made to ensure the accuracy and veracity of the information posted but it is not subject to any guarantee and RT will not be held responsible for any losses, damage, death, injury or litigation that may occur as a result of advice given by the RT membership.

It would be nice if everyone who posted gave good and sound advice. It is wise that you read what people say here and then follow it up with your own investigations to verify information before you decide to act on anything. Advice relating to the use of chemicals and construction comes to mind as topics that require you to make carefully informed decisions. You need to understand that the information given here is done so without any guarantee and whilst we strive to ensure the veracity of the information given it does not mean we endorse it either.

6. IMPORTANT: In the event the Administrator(s) are contacted to give evidence pertaining to the alleged illegal dealing(s) of an RT member on or through the forum we will co-operate fully and make all of our resources available to the investigating authorities without hesitation or consultation.

If one of our members is involed in any illegal activities and we are contacted to provide details of their activities and account details we will cooperate completely.

7. Discrimination or incrimination of any kind will not be tolerated and those partaking in such exchanges will also be reported to the relevant authorities and have their membership privileges removed.

I like to think that RT is a safe and nurturing environment. Discrimination is both illegal and hurtful and the online nature of the forum does nothing to change this in any way. Please refrain from making such comments. They will be removed and may result in your details be passed on to the relevant authorities because I have a zero tolerance for it.

8. To avoid issues of possible slander, members are asked to refrain from mentioning by name any individual, business or organistion in any way that may possibly damage or restrict their ability to conduct their affairs. RT is moderated by volunteers and every effort will be made on the part of the Administration and its Moderators to remove such posts. We are not, however, online all the time and as such moderation may not occur immediately. If you see anything that you feel contravenes RT's Terms of Use please report it to one of our Administrators or Moderators.

Do NOT treat the forum as a place to vent and complain about specific people, businesses, or organisations. Take it up with them. You CANNOT mention by name any of the above in a way that may affect their ability to conduct their business and everyone should be afforded the opportunity to rectify any mistakes or quality related problems without fear of public ridicule or condemnation.

9. Participants are subject to any and all relevant Australian Federal and State laws.

Illegal is illegal which ever way you cut it. Conduct illegal activity here and your are liable for prosecuation as you would be anywhere. All State and Federal laws apply here.

10. Signatures or signoffs are not to contain any clickable links. Members whose signatures or signoffs do contain links will have them removed and a warning given. Continued disregard for this term will result in the termination of membership.

This happens every now-and-then. If we see your signatures or signoffs with links, whether they be active or not, we will ask you to change it. If you don't we will. If you keep doing it your membership will be cancelled no questions asked.

11. To be eligible to post on RT members MUST have at least their State listed in their profile in the location field. Members who don't will be asked to fix this issue and failure to do this will result in the post being removed or membership being suspended until fixed.

Advice given here is often dictated by where you are. Adding at least your state will help you receive the best, most relevant, advice specific for your area.

12. Rose Talk Australia is dedicated to mentoring and educating junior members. All RT members are required to be mindful of the possible pressence of children. RT is dedicated to the protection of children and will remove anything deemed unsuitable for viewing by children.

I am a teacher. My whole professional life is related to protecting children. I have never had reason to moderate postings on here before on the grounds that they may be unsuitable for junior members, however, it needs to be stated that I also have a zero tolerance for the posting of material I would not be happy for my own children to read or see; they are often looking over my shoulder or I will show them thiungs you say...

13. All Rose Talk members are invited to participate in a rose exchange program and to list roses (only) for sale in the 'Rose Classifieds' forum subject to the following conditions:

A. The exchange, gifting, or sale of privately propagated plants with a current PBR or patent, or propagating material from them, is illegal and not permitted on Rose Talk if you are not the current holder of the title or licensed to carry out such activities. Members are advised to search the Plant Breeders Rights Database at IPAustralia to determine the status of any rose before conducting any exchange, requesting any plants or propagating material, or listing any rose for sale. Rose Talk Australia will not be held responsible for any legal action occuring should this term of use be ignored.

B. The use of a registered trade mark, or other such copyright or license, to sell a rose is not permitted on Rose Talk. Members are advised to search the Trade Mark Database on the IPAustralia website to dertmine the status of any rose before listing them for sale. NOTE: A trade mark and a PBR are separate titles and the non-existence of a PBR does not necessarily mean the non-existence of a trade mark and it is the sole responsibility of RT members to determine the status of each.

C. Members may list roses in their possession in the 'Rose Keepers Database' regardless of their PBR or trade mark status.

D. You may sell a rose that you had previously bought from a licensed propagtor or distributor but you must include the original label as evidence of the legal purchase of the plant. In such cases, once sold the PBR is exhausted, however, plants propagated from it or propagating material from it, are still protected if the PBR is current.

NOTE: The term propagation does not include the process of hybridising and as such does not extend to include pollen from any rose.

This is possibly the most important term to familiarise yourself with if you intend to use the classifieds section. If you have any specific questions relating to this you should post here before doing so.

14. If you do not understand any part of these terms of use please do NOT click on 'I agree to these terms' and contact the Administrator for clarification.
Please enjoy your stay and afford the same level of respect to other patrons that you expect to be given yourself.

15. Our Terms of Use may change from time to time to address specific needs. These changes will be announced, however, it is up to RT members to familiarise themselves with these terms to keep up-to-date.

As we become aware of things, the terms of use may change. We see it as an evolving thing. It won't be reactionary but instead be preemtive to help protect us and our members.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Voorwinde - RT Administrator

Feel free to open a discourse on anything above if you are unsure of what I mean or if you would like any further information. Please remember that you have agreed to abide by our Terms of use and seeing as they will change from time to time you also need to stay up-to-date with them. The TOU document can be seen here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Simon on 27th November 2011, 00:52; edited 3 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Revisiting our Terms of Use Empty Re: Revisiting our Terms of Use

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th November 2011, 23:43

This post is from David Mears(roseman) and is written by me and only me.
I think this topic of 'Terms of Use' should be sent to all 163 members and ask for a reply, accepting the 'terms' as outlined above. Aknowledgement of this request will place ALL members on notice of the above "terms". Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th November 2011, 23:56

It isn't needed David. Everyone has accepted the terms when they joined up. This is as good as signing on the dotted line. I think it is a good idea, however, to send a notice to everyone so they know it has been updated to give them a chance ot disagree with them by cancelling their membership if they so desire and by their continued pressence they are stating their support of the Terms of Use. I'll do that now.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th November 2011, 21:04

From what I have read and some other looking around "I can" use PBR'd rose pollen is that correct in breeding/hybridizing
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th November 2011, 21:06

yep...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th December 2011, 22:57

Further to this is our membership policy amendment to point number 1:

1.a. Membership is free with no obligation to post with any frequency or participate in any exchanges or discussions. We do, however, reqire that you log in with some frequency to check for things like private messagess, changes to members only sections and changes to our terms of use. Periodically we will be scanning our user lists for those who have registered and who have never logged in after 100 or more days of their membership being approved. Such members will have their membership revoked. There is no age limit for posting and junior members are more than welcome.

1.b. Those new members joining with a free-mail account, such as those from Yahoo, Gmail, or Hotmail, will be sent a confirmation email requesting they verify their application with a response. The online safety of our members is of paramount importance and many people or organisations who may seek to exploit our members use these free-mail accounts. If, within one week, the new user has not responded to our request for verification the membership application will be deleted without further consultation. The rationale is that real people will reply while bots will not. We apologise for any inconvenience on this matter but also hope that people can understand our stance. If you do not agree with this you can always not agree to our terms of service choose not to sign up.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th December 2011, 07:51

Some stats on the 100 day thing(posting and/or looking)
There 73 members that fall into that catagory by my reckoning
2008 members = 16
2009 members = 21(G & V) fit in here
2010 members = 24
2011 members = 12

I did not have much to do this morning as it is drizzling here at present >8@
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th December 2011, 11:33

On the subject of free email accounts , the fishing forum that I belong to has them banned altogether. They require that you sign up with an ISP email address.
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th December 2011, 11:45

I'm not going to ban them altogether because people use them for the same reason we screen them. I think it's important to try and respect people's privacy and so these free-mail accounts are important in making places like this accessible. It does not take much time or effort to screen the new applications and it is very easy to just delete those applications that remain unverified.

The 100 day time period applies to people who register and then never log in after that. They obviously have no intention of joining in and can see everything they need to without being logged in. The only sections that are members only are the classifieds section.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 11th December 2011, 07:12

My free email account is the only email address I have used for the past 6 years (if not longer) as I got sick and tired of my PC crashing through mainly well meaning, but ill informed friends sending on attachments in 'virus' warning emails that were actually 'trojans'.

Besides, I've changed service providers 4 times now and so its great to have one account to remember.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th December 2011, 09:51

My bigpond email is still unavailable too... if I only used my hotmail account maybe I'd be able to see if people have been trying to get hold of me since Friday Rolling Eyes

So, incidently, my hotmail account is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in case anyone is trying to get hold of me.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down