Info on pots

Go down

Info on pots

Post by wedge on 4th November 2009, 17:05

Hi all. Today i went into Bunnings to buy some ordinary black plastic 200mm dia. pots. I was going to buy about 100 as i thought they'd be handy around here when i begin to strike cuttings etc. I looked at the price and multiplied by 100 and went...ouch !! Does anyone know where i can purchase these pots at a reasonable price ?? It would be interesting to find out a price, add on freight, and see if it's cheaper than buying them locally. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Info on pots

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th November 2009, 21:43

Redlands Nursery supplies, try them first and if they do not carry them, ask if they know of a supplier
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 4th November 2009, 22:48

Hi Dave, sorry I don't have a contact up your way. I have a couple of Landscape Gardeners that help me at prices ranging from nothing to 50c for secondhand pots. Try these people in your area. I have access to a wholesaler that supplies the nurseries here. Prices range from $1. 40 each and up. Try similar businesses in your area.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 4th November 2009, 22:57

Thanks guys. I'll try that and see how i go. Thanks once again.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 5th November 2009, 02:52

I always find some pots in the container where the flower pots are collected for
recycling purposes at the local cemetery Innocent

for the young plants and cuttings also the clematis pots work well.

happy lookup
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 5th November 2009, 05:33

Dave, just be on the lookout for viruses , check the leaves for blotches and
water marks. Soil left in used pots can carry viruses so wash them thoroughly. Mosaic virus seems to be on the increase as it doesn't show up on the plants unless they are stressed. Would suggest you check it out on the Net.
As previously mentioned keep clean rootstock and try to get any budwood coming in to have the leaves left on so you can check health. A lot of budwood sent to me from a distance does not have the leaves on. It's impossible to know how healthy it is especially when sent by well meaning beginners who can't recognise the problem

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 5th November 2009, 08:50

Wedge , go to tip. I get all my pots from there and they only charge a few dollars for a heap. Just pick out the the ones that are the right size. Originally I bought some soft plastic ones from the nursery that worked out dear and I ended up never using them.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 5th November 2009, 09:47

Hi Ozeboy. Yes, i'm aware of the disease factor when getting secondhand pots. If i do end up with a heap of secondhand ones i was going to soak them for a few days in a strong bleach solution and then wash them well. Rosemeadow, that's a good idea you gave me. I will ring the recyclers at the tip in Mackay and ask if they have any. Yesterday i went out and bought 4 big bags of potting mix in anticipation of obtaining a heap of cuttings from Roseman.
On the way home i stopped in at a stockfeed place to buy a bale of hay to use as mulch for my roses. I got talking to the guy there and found out he also sold potting mix. I told him what i was looking for in the way of a good potting mix so he showed me the mix he sold and it looked perfect....and at a fraction of the price !!! I also bought some seed trays at Bunnings in the hope of raising some seeds here. I got a phone call here yesterday from the company i worked for before i left and joined our cleaning business. They have asked me if i could travel south to Maryborough (nth of Brisbane) in a few weeks time to service the cranes in a large company there. My roses will have to do without me for a week !! Thanks once again for the advice !!
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th November 2009, 14:56

Wedge, wrong name, should have been "Redpath". If you use pre-loved pots, go down to the supermarket in Mackay if they have one that far north. Just buy home brand household bleach, works for my homebrew.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 6th November 2009, 02:04

Yup, i think i might try that Roseman. I tried searching for "Redlands" nursery and actually found one in Brisbane but couldn't find anything about pots there. I'll try "Redpath" and see what come up. Thanks mate !!
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th November 2009, 20:29

End of pot chase, next subject.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 7th November 2009, 03:27

Roseman...have you ever thought about becoming an air traffic controller at Sydney airport ?? You'd be a natural !! I LIKE the man !!! Hehehe.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 9th November 2009, 16:51

Hi guys. Just an update on the pots. I contacted Redpath as Roseman suggested and they had a branch in Brisbane. After i explained to the lady on the phone what i wanted i went ahead and ordered 120 - 8" pots last Friday. It's now Mon. and they just arrived on my doorstep and i live about 25km outside of Mackay. I certainly can't complain about being prompt !! All up they cost me 78cents delivered. I know where i'm going to deal in future !! Thanks for the advice Dave !!
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th November 2009, 22:47

So did they cost 78 cents each, did you mean ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th November 2009, 01:27

Yes Rosemeadow. My mistake !! 78cents each. That's less than half the price they wanted here in Mackay.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 10th November 2009, 04:46

Hi Wedge, As I previously mentioned Roseman is involved commercially and knows where most of the nursery supply companies are. He has helped me out a few times in the past.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th November 2009, 10:36

Yes Bruce, his advice worked for me !! It's been raining here with over 50mm over the last few days. It will be interesting to see what happens once the sun comes out and it warms up and gets humid. I will have to be on my guard for any diseases etc.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th November 2009, 12:17

Shame your so far away, we get 100's here at work Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th November 2009, 12:35

All sorted Estate. They're now in my shed and should keep me going for a while.
I'm running around here at the moment getting all our potted plants outside into the rain to give them a good soak. It's the first decent rain we've had since about March.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by OklahomaDelight on 8th March 2018, 18:05

I live near Canberra and get almost all of my pots from The Green Shed, which is a kind of upscale 'tip' that salvages and resells still-usable items people have donated. They're sooo much cheaper than Bunnings - I only buy extra large pots from Bunnings because larger sizes are hard to find second hand, and they're worth saving up for on occasion. Otherwise, the tip can always turn up some exciting finds! Smile

OklahomaDelight

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum