Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Acreage

+8
SueH
neptune
betsyw
Balinbear
Barbara B
AutumnDamask
The Lazy Rosarian
muscovyduckling
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Acreage - Page 2 Empty Re: Acreage

Post by muscovyduckling 17th November 2014, 16:13

Yeah, they just stick refugees anywhere and leave them to fend for themselves. I know. It's not cool though.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 17th November 2014, 16:21

What a stunning idea, Zoe. Brava!@ I suspect that it's lonelier in big cities for so many war-shocked and displaced people. On a piece of land that's theirs to develop, they may be more readily able to recover in peace and calm. Compared to living conditions in the urban centres and refuge centres,your land would be an Eden. Settled Afghanis could rotate out when they're ready, and new refuges rotate in.

Sounds like a beautiful and practical humanitarian plan you have there MD.

PS: When I think about it, Afghanis are a largely rural society. As David points out, they've eked out an existence on stone , and with a fertile soil and plentiful water supply, they would take their traditional skills to new levels. And do it amid peace and some measure of plenty.

Last edited by betsyw on 17th November 2014, 18:24; edited 1 time in total
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2014, 17:53

These things like going "off topic" Acreage - Page 2 1581400159 Hijack are not usually permitted, But in this case Zoe, you go for it. If need we could start a "social topic" about it if needed. Ok back to reality.
The land from where Afgans come from is not the best piece of dirt, can you imagine how "productive" they could make yours Zoe. Look at the allotment ideas in England, which we here in Australia are just catching onto it, Communal land from councils or such.
I love the idea of 'possible' rotations of people to assimilate into the community, we as Aussies have done it to most people of the world, where would we be without our WOG influence, whether they be Greek, Italian, Vietnamese or a callathumpian,
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 17th November 2014, 18:27

Exactly, David. And look what the rural Italian and Greek migrants have done with their plots of Australian soil - some of them have built wine and oil mini-empires!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2014, 18:30

Yes Betsy,I will place my words softly, "without them we would be stuffed" IMO
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 17th November 2014, 18:37

And one more spin-off benefit, literally.

Afghani women are accomplished spinners, dyers and weavers. With a few sheep and some mohair goats, just think of the possibilities for beautiful marketable fabrics and handcrafts they could produce on a plot of land, quite apart from argiculture.
Beyond subsistence, they could create an industry on which to build capital for their new lives.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 17th November 2014, 19:13

It's a wonderful idea you have there Zoe. So many possibilities. Good on you for your empathy for those poor souls who seek to make a life somewhere beyond their war torn homeland. Being a child of displaced European refugees who came to Australia post war, penniless but determined to make a good life, I admire your generosity of spirit.
I hope you are able to realise your dream!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 17th November 2014, 20:30

As long as the asylum seekers are not que jumpers, choose Australia with the aim of becoming law abiding Australian citizens and given a chance can make a positive contribution I'm all for giving them a home and a helping hand.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 18th November 2014, 20:38

I don't know if it will work but I will talk to my friend about it. Or if I win Lotto I will just do it and ask questions later Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 1st December 2014, 07:42

Just come back from the wilderness. We live on 1 acre of flat land, with 30,000l tanks, on town water with a sophisticated sewerage treatment unit which catches all household water. Snakes are around. We are about to lay black bird netting on the fence line between us and a beautiful15 acre park, 40 metres of it. There are two types and the newer type sold in large hardware stores is noteant to catch the little darlings. A rural town hardware may have old stock.
Bird chorus is a love/hate experience. Seasonally, we have storm birds as early as 3.00am and then there are the possum fights...... Walking between house and sheds gives exercise. No paper delivery but other deliveries are fine. We are 12kms outside Toowoomba. There is almost always room for yet another plant but they are all in need of water despite the belief they are capable of their best without a decent drink. We lose each other which can be quite funny at times.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 2nd December 2014, 13:29

Am catching up with all the news after an extended time-out (Our son's wedding - absolutely wonderful)...
My previous research is in the area of connecting traumatised persons/groups with the natural environment where healing can take place ...
so Zoe, I love your concept of establishing a place of refuge for displaced persons. And with the dual benefit where they can re-establish skills and expertise in rural living as they recover.
We purchased 100 acres near Mudgee while living in Sydney when our kids were teenagers. Great idea but the practical aspects often meant we were not able to spend as much time there as we would like, and so did not grow things as planned - I had hoped to develop a lavender farm and hubby wanted to graze cattle - we just underestimated how busy we'd be in Sydney. Finally sold up and moved to Qld Sunshine Coast Hinterland to smaller acreage - and absolutely love it.
So bottom line, having tenants on your land who have an understanding of rural life would be a great way to go.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum