My New Web Site

Go down

My New Web Site

Post by paulh on 15th November 2013, 01:16

My wife reconds I've got to much time on my hands if I've got time
to do up a web site. lol I hope she was joking.  

Well here's the link, it's my first go, so I guess it will evolve over time,
I've called it Bonnie Doon Roses. The reason for the name... thats what the plaque says on the front of out home. I named our house after the movie "The Castle",if you can remember in the movie the scene where they were at their holiday home called "Bonnie Doon" in the country. The picture pans out to a lovely view of the country side and a nice lake, then the dad says, hows the serenity, hows the serenity. Then the camera pans upwards, then you see all these power lines everywhere, it was a funny scene. This is a lot like our place, we have the serenity of our yard with the roses, look up and over the fence and we have power line a major road and shops lol.    

Anyways peoples i would love your feedback and any suggestions to improve the site.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by paulh on 5th February 2014, 23:28; edited 1 time in total
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My New Web Site

Post by jordan71 on 15th November 2013, 07:30

nice website , well done paul
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 15th November 2013, 07:45

paulh wrote:
I've called it Bonnie Doon Roses.
LOL You'll have a lot of very confused Victorians looking for it... Wink

Boonie Doon isn't too far from our place, actually. Drive through it every time I go down to Melbourne. Smile

Nice job on the website. Smile
Just a note: if you are not intending to be a supplier of roses then it might not hurt to actually state that, to avoid confusion. ie. be a little more obvious in the reason for having the website.

AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 15th November 2013, 08:24

Well, I just love it, Paul, because I can see whole plants and also individual blooms. The quality of the photography is pleasing, very more-ish. No site fatigue at all.

If I had to suggest one thing, it would be MORE INFO behind each pic. (Maybe you already plan to make these additions , bit by bit?) A few notes on each variety (scent, size, personal experience with growth, etc) would complete what looks to be a great resource for rosey people everywhere.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 15th November 2013, 09:13

Well done Paul , what a great idea , are the names of the roses there , i couldn't see them , cause i would love to know what they are without guessing and yes a description , but brilliant work there !!!!
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 15th November 2013, 10:05

Great work Paul! What a great idea! I really enjoyed having a look. Your website showcases your beautiful roses well. I would second the suggestions above about including names of roses and some information about each. Also as you have managed to grow so many roses into a small area, more information on how you've achieved this might be useful, as there are so many people with small gardens. eg. spacing in the garden beds, size of pots, fertilizing routines. I'm sure it will grow and evolve and I look forward to visiting it again.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 15th November 2013, 15:51

Thanks peoples for your kind words and for your useful input, some good suggestions.
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud on 15th November 2013, 19:58

I'm impressed, Paul.   The opening blurb on your home page is very engaging.  Gives people a good introduction to your site.  Love the links to rose societies, nurseries, forum.  Nice touch.   Photos are gorgeous.  Ditto above re more information but I'm sure that's in the pipeline.  Overall, a really nice job (There!... Can you tell I mark papers for a living?)
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 18th November 2013, 01:21

I just updated my web site making adjustments from the advice of others on the forum. enjoy
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sanders on 27th April 2014, 10:18

Well done Paul very good web page and a beautiful garden
Bruce Sanders

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2014-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 27th April 2014, 17:19

Just visited your site again Paul. You have done a fantastic job, with lots of information about your roses and making the most of your limited space. Well done you!
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 27th April 2014, 21:48

Paul I went to your website and noticed it said free is that the case or is it a hook?

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 27th April 2014, 22:25

Ausrose wrote:Paul I went to your website and noticed it said free is that the case or is it a hook?

Thanks Ausrose, yep it's totally free, no catches, just start using one of there templates, heaps to choose from, then just edit it to your taste. I tried quite a few sites, I found weebly.com the be the best one. User friendly easy to upload to, I tried a lot of different templates, chose one and just took things off and added what I needed. If you are wanting to give it ago, I would say you'll have heaps of fun and you won't get frustrated because weebly make it quite easy.
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 27th April 2014, 22:30

maree wrote:Well done Paul , what a great idea , are the names of the roses there , i couldn't see them , cause i would love to know what they are without guessing and yes a description , but brilliant work there !!!!

Thanks maree, if you hold your mouse curser over the image, or click on the image, it will tell you the name of the rose. Also if you click on Mr Rose List, it will bring up a comprehensive list with all the relevent info.
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 3rd May 2014, 05:38

Thank you. I'm a great believer in the old adage," If it appears too good be true it generally is." I thought this FREE website may have fallen into this category. As far as personal websites are concerned I have had a personal sports website going back to the 1990s. I do have an Australian bred rose  website under construction as part of my sports websit but that is taking a lot longer than anticipated.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 3rd May 2014, 21:36

Ausrose wrote:Thank you. I'm a great believer in the old adage," If it appears too good be true it generally is." I thought this FREE website may have fallen into this category. As far as personal websites are concerned I have had a personal sports website going back to the 1990s. I do have an Australian bred rose  website under construction as part of my sports websit but that is taking a lot longer than anticipated.

That's awesome Ausrose, love to have a gander when your new site is up and running.  
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate on 17th June 2014, 11:47

looks great   
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 17th June 2014, 14:27

Thanks estate for your kind comment
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 17th June 2014, 16:40

Oh Paul, I must be dreaming!  What a lovely site.  I have to admit this is the first time I've seen it and boy, it is good.  very interesting!  You are clever!  I loved The Castle too. 

ps.  Ignore the power lines......... what power lines?!!! LOL  Gold Star Rating

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 17th June 2014, 21:50

Thanks Sue, you are so kind with your thoughts, cheers
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sanders on 18th June 2014, 05:27

Well done Paul. the website has come out very well. The templates which I presume you used make it a lot easier I did mine the old code way and boy was that a shock to the system. My site is is on my other passion that of turning pens out of various materials. Just venturing into polymer clay with roses in them to combine my passions

Very little time on my hands at the moment with my wife is recovering from a bone removal on her left wrist due to severe arthritics, still a few months to go yet and we also have grandchildren to hel,p as mum is a doctor in the Australian Army.

Just about got my garden in control once again and have planted all my new roses, just the pruning left to do later
I do love your garden it may be on a small area but you have done a magnificent job on it

Bruce
Bruce Sanders

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2014-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 18th June 2014, 13:43

Do hope your wife is recovering well Bruce.  Just think, in the summer, she will enjoy all the new roses you have put in! Well Done!  Clap

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 18th June 2014, 15:05

Bruce Sanders wrote: My site is is on my other passion that of turning pens out of various materials.
Bruce

I do this as well.....Can't make a living out of it and people don't want to pay for what the pen is worth......
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum