Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Search Engine

4 posters

Go down

Search Engine Empty Search Engine

Post by Admin 10th November 2013, 06:55

For those on the forum which use this facility, it works in one way only. I have been in contact with the people that Run/Admin this forum "forumotion'. It is set up to "search" by "Title"/"Thread" only, they are looking at "trying" to adjust it for "word" recognition, but they said don't hold your breath waiting for the change.
From ADMIN.

Last edited by Simon Voorwinde on 6th December 2015, 11:09; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Search Engine Empty Re: Search Engine

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 07:38

Thanks for looking into this issue, roseman/neptune. That set-up is nigh-near useless. BUT months ago I actually found this forum through a Google search for some arcane rose. Using word recognition, the G-search took me deep inside a thread. Maybe the best way to search this site is to go to Google, type in the rose you want, and add rosetalkaustalia (perhaps broken into individual words) to the search criteria.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 07:45

The people at forumotion do not have the resources of "Google", but your method could work, it is along way around thou.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 08:05

Forummotion doesn't have the resources of gardenweb, either, apparently. I've never set up a forum or blog, so I can't comment on the search norm at similar facilities. In any case, what we have is what we've got ;-))

Not sure what you mean by Google being a "longer way" around. Looking at some of the great umbrella topics here like "Roses in my Spring Garden" and "Your Best Reds" , Google might be the ONLY way around, no comparative longer/shorter about it.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 09:58

Betsy, have you tried "Google" with those topics such as "Your Best Reds" ? "Google" might take you to many places and one "might be" Rosetalk, but and I say but, how many answers can "Google" give back, thousands I assume. The biggest thing would be asking the right question so as to eliminate some of the choices.
This is also applies to HMF premium membership, the advance search facility lets me narrow down the search to specific items, it would be very good if this facility was available to this forum, but alas it ain't, we just have to put up with what is at present.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 12:18

roseman wrote:Betsy, have you tried "Google" with those topics such as "Your Best Reds" ? "Google" might take you to many places and one "might be" Rosetalk, but and I say but, how many answers can "Google" give back, thousands I assume.
The trick is to add "rosetalkaustralia" in quotes. Google immediately whittles down the results to this forum. No combing through thousands of sites at all.

For example: I just did a test Google search for Daybreaker, with RTA as the added criterion. Google took me straight to the inside post of a thread with the general heading "Your most bloomiforous roses". Google placed the RTA result first on its search page results. Here's its exact recommendation:

Your most bloomiforous roses - Page 2 - Rose Talk Australia
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] › ... › Administration › Events‎
Oct 20, 2013 - Re: Your most bloomiforous roses ... The Chosen One for the entrance was meant to be Daybreaker, but she's not going to be suitable in time, ...

Then followed other RTA posts within other general headings. Easy as.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 12:28

So do you place the word Daybreaker, then the word "rosetalkaustralia" in the "Google" search bar
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 12:36

Exactly so. Just remember to always enclose rosetalkaustralia in quote marks, which makes it the essential criterion.

The RTA entry must be absolutely correctly spelled. "rosetailkaustralia", "rosetalkaustralai", etc, will produce nothing
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 12:47

Yes Betsy, that works, but, what if I place Db(being Daybreaker) "rosetalkaustralia", that goes back to the abbreviation Q in posts, does it not scratch 
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 13:24

For me, using Daybreaker (or Charles deGaulle or Barbra Streisand or Baronne Edmund de Rothschild or Ghislaine de Feligonde or Gewurtztraminer or Ixelysplat Hybrid Musk or whatever) once or twice spelled out in a thread is enough for purposes of a search.

With a rose spelled out only once, Google can get me inside a vaguely titled thread,  which the forum's inadequate search engine cannot, however often the rose's name is spelled out

Google will take me to the first mention of the rose in each general thread. Then I can read through more of the thread, or parts thereof. I've searched for Daybreaker, so thererafter in the thread I know perfectly well what DB stands for, and it's not David Bowie. I'm no genius, and even I can follow this simple trail of breadcrumbs.

As for rose novices, what's wrong with a learning curve?. Most of us rattled around a bit when we first started. No one at the gardenweb Rose Forum (probably where most of us oldtimers began rose-boarding) was terribly anxious about it. If you weren't sure about a abbreviation, you could ask, but mostly it all gradually became clear

Over time you pick up nicknames and acronyms, ie Babs for Barbra Streisand, SDLM for Souvenir de la Malmaison (how many times did you ever see that one spelled out all the way through a thread?). Jeez, no handholding necessary.

IMO

Last edited by betsyw on 10th November 2013, 14:15; edited 1 time in total
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 10th November 2013, 14:02

Betsy/ Roseman i found this forum looking for a rose name as well when i was researching it , otherwise i wouldn't have had a clue , and yes when you first come on the forum , you are feeling your way around , and getting to know names and abbbreaviations, but before too long you are confidant enough to ask if you are not sure about anything , and abbreaviations are much more fun too
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 14:15

Maree, they are fun(abbreviations) to us older members, thanks for putting it that way Thumbsup (not age wise, being me, not you), but till younger members become older members, it is my belief we help with as much information as possible as to not scare them off as they might be looking after new members in thier own right shortly.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 14:39

roseman wrote:Yes Betsy, that works, but, what if I place Db(being Daybreaker) "rosetalkaustralia", that goes back to the abbreviation Q in posts, does it not scratch 
Umm, why on earth would I google DB to start with? Wouldn't I be googling Daybreaker? isn't that the issue, researching and finding roses on RTA via a search? Our crummy native search engine can find nothing unless it's a topic. Google will take you insoide threads where Daybreaker appears. DB may appear somewhere in the same thread, but your search takes you to the full name. I don't understand what the problem is. The abbreviation is used after the full name is mentioned, and in a post or posts in close proximity to the full name.

Look, David, it's your forum. Do what you like. This conversation is getting circular.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th November 2013, 15:12

Just to keep all things all neat and tidy I have sent an email to Betsy and with a response will delete all this thread
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down